Pre jointing fitness test advice please?!

FFS. Nobody is saying to do that - it's only a PJFT; pass or fail. It has no bearing on future attitudes to tests or exams.

A PJFT pass is all that is required. Anyone flogging themselves to run a PB on a tick-box fitness assessment is a bit of a weapon.
Your intricate knowledge of the recruiting and training process comes from the elevated position of where exactly?

A recruits PJFT time is on record at Raleigh. I know of two recent recruits who failed their week one RNFT; one had comfortably passed their PJFT, the other with a second to spare. Guess which one was Discharged Unsuitable During Training. Don't think for a second that the same isn't true of Dartmouth.

The RNFT, in all it's forms; PJFT, training serial or annual test, is a maximal test. That is, you are expected to put in the maximum effort. Failure to do so speaks volumes about an individuals attitude. Whether you agree with the concept is irrelevant. Equally, it's not bloody hard! If I can comfortably reach the standard required of an 18 year old despite being in my forties then I fail to see why a much younger person can't.

The OP is not yet in, but is apparently keen to make a real effort to improve their fitness, which is commendable. Advising them not to try too hard because it doesn't matter is both bad advice and disappointing from somebody that aspires to a position of leadership.

Sorry to keep blasting you all with questions but again It was an off day at the gym couldn't run the 1.5mile again so should I just leave the run till the end of the week and just do 3mile runs and I do swimming to after that.

Also should I have two rest days a week or one day ? Usually if I have two days rest I can run the 1.5mile run then.

Thanks for all the support on here too it's a great page.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Sorry to keep blasting you all with questions but again It was an off day at the gym couldn't run the 1.5mile again so should I just leave the run till the end of the week and just do 3mile runs and I do swimming to after that.

Also should I have two rest days a week or one day ? Usually if I have two days rest I can run the 1.5mile run then.

Mate, you're completely over-analysing it now in my books.
You're 18 and it's just running.
Just keep going to the gym, out on the streets or whatever.

Mate, you're completely over-analysing it now in my books.
You're 18 and it's just running.
Just keep going to the gym, out on the streets or whatever.
It seems we can agree on this..!

Just run... slow, or fast... run until it gets easier. Then run some more. You've done it once. There's no secret formula, everybody who gets good at something gets there because they kept at it.

If you play a sport regularly such as football or rugby then chances are your inherent fitness at the age of 18-25 is good enough to do well at the PJFT and into initial training.

The PTIs will certainly put you through your paces once you start and are very good at getting all to a good standard.

Quick update after 2months of running and running.... and running I finally clocked in at 10mins 53secs which I'm over the moon at huge psychological boost for me because I thought I'd never do it so just thanks for the advice and I'm gunna keep going to get a better time.

It just gets better.

I've been running for many months now, but the last two runs I managed the 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes - the next goal is to get it in under 9 now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dondon Blue Jokes 0
A Nautical Jokes 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0