Pre jointing fitness test advice please?!

I used to get that too - some days are just bad days.

Since I've got fitter, I don't really feel that anymore; even on bad days I can still run at the same level. But all that means is I'm not pushing myself anymore.

Fitness is a long-term thing that takes months to improve. You'll get there too!

Yea cheers buddy. I'm pushing myself to the limits at the moment. But I'm a bit confused it seems like every other day I go to the gym I can't run the 2.4km and other times it's like a walk in the park anyone else get this or is it because I'm not allowing my body to rest enough? I've been going 5/6 days a week.
This is normal. Diet, caffeine levels, temperature, hydration levels... these all have a massive impact on how you run and can vary massively from day to day.

Cheers buddy I'll add distance runs into my plan should I do 2-3 days long distance and the other 2 days to practice running the test ?
Rest is really important. If you run on Monday, give yourself a rest on Tuesday. Run Wednesday, rest Thursday. Run Friday, and maybe Saturday - and rest on Sunday.

I know it sounds obvious, but the fact that you've managed to run the distance is 90% of the progress that you need to make. Mentally, you know you can do it - so just grit your teeth and show some CDF to get through it. Not gonna lie, it's not a comfortable 11 minutes... but if you have a moderate level of fitness, you can force your body to run at pace for that amount of time.

Good luck - keep us updated on your progress mate :)

Quick update took one of the guys advice on here and didn't run at intervals just did a Steady 8mph run managed 11mins 30secs but I did take two 10secs breaks at 5mph because I haven't run consecutively at 8mph so I'll get used to this then start working up the speed.

Also I can manage doing the 1mile in 7mins should I crank the speed up to run the last 0.5 or keep some in the tank to get to the end?

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Also I can manage doing the 1mile in 7mins should I crank the speed up to run the last 0.5 or keep some in the tank to get to the end?
When I did 10.10 last week, the first mile was 7 min.
Yeah you will crank up the speed as much as possible as you get closer to the finish line, but don't over-analyse it, just keep running and running and your times will come down.

Quick update took one of the guys advice on here and didn't run at intervals just did a Steady 8mph run managed 11mins 30secs but I did take two 10secs breaks at 5mph because I haven't run consecutively at 8mph so I'll get used to this then start working up the speed.

Practice practice practice, you will find what suits your body in the end, for me it was get up to max plodding speed in first hundred yards or so then maintain it, PTI said sprint last 100yards, why? Would be a waste of energy.

Good job - nothing wrong with a quick breather on the practice runs.

If you're not needing a specific time (i.e. Mine clearance), then it doesn't matter how quick you are - you just need to pass. The PTI (civilian, at the gym) doesn't care if you pass in 8 minutes or 11 minutes; do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
If you're not needing a specific time (i.e. Mine clearance), then it doesn't matter how quick you are - you just need to pass. The PTI (civilian, at the gym) doesn't care if you pass in 8 minutes or 11 minutes; do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
You only pass by doing the required distance in the required time.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Well, yes... I don't see anyone saying differently though. But it makes no difference if he passes with an 8-minute run or an 11-minute run; a pass is a pass.
Yes OK, as 11 min is inside the "satisfactory pass time" for an 18 yr old of 11.02, and the "minimum pass time" of 11.09, you are correct.

I wouldn't encourage that to an 18 yr old as a philosophy for getting through all future tests and exams though.

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
Yes OK, as 11 min is inside the "satisfactory pass time" for an 18 yr old of 11.02, and the "minimum pass time" of 11.09, you are correct.

I wouldn't encourage that to an 18 yr old as a philosophy for getting through all future tests and exams though.
I would Highly encourage this as a philosophy NO WASTED EFFORT !!!

FFS. Nobody is saying to do that - it's only a PJFT; pass or fail. It has no bearing on future attitudes to tests or exams.

A PJFT pass is all that is required. Anyone flogging themselves to run a PB on a tick-box fitness assessment is a bit of a weapon.

Get the minimum pass in every test you do, both physical and coursework/assessment and you can guarantee you will be under the spotlight of all the instructors. Should you dip below that standard then they do not have the evidence that you have been doing well at everything else.

End result is you could end your career before it starts simply by doing "just enough".

Set your standards high and try to achieve them in every thing that you do.

Apologies, I forgot how ******* dense people can be.

You were implying that I had suggested he take the 'bare minimum' approach to all future exams and tests. I had not, rather obviously.

For the avoidance of doubt, and to make it very clear for the educationally challenged (Traminator): Always revise for exams and tests, throughout your career. Don't flog yourself into the ground to boss a pass or fail timed run, it's a waste of effort and energy.

Does that clear things up, Trams?

How is getting to a good level of fitness before joining the Armed Forces a "waste of effort and energy"?
And where do I say that? Nowhere. Stop being a twat.

IF you want to get into the intricacies of a PJFT as a fair measure of fitness levels and its accuracy as a proxy for future physical performance, feel free to send me a PM. You're clogging the thread now.

How is getting to a good level of fitness before joining the Armed Forces a "waste of effort and energy"?
Trams, agree 100%

Ok so its a pass/fail test prior to joining the RN. However if there are 50 applicants for 30 places on a given course and all have passed the academic and physical tests then they will have to be whittled down to 30. So do you think (yeah think Archangel) that the people deciding who to take would not look at all aspects before selecting the final candidates? At that point "just a pass" may not be good enough.

So to put it bluntly, you want to join the finest part of our armed forces but only being prepared to give it the bare minimum to do so would say a lot about your commitment and desire to be selected.

Aim high, but don't kill yourself or pick up an injury, if your best is 11.08 then that's your best, if your best us 8 min then your lucky you have wriggle room.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Im hoping to clock in at least 10mins if anyone could give advice much appreciated!
You're clogging the thread now.
If you read the OP, he is not looking to scrape through with a couple of seconds to spare. He has a specific target and is asking for advice.

I'm sure you will disagree, but advising him to pick and choose when he puts in maximum effort and when he just scrapes through with no effort, might be called "clogging up the thread"....

I, for one, ran the PJFT at the minimum time (well, a few seconds faster). Didn't see the point of running faster and risking anything that could stop me running at all on a pass/fail test.

Though as someone pointed out, if they use it to help decide who they pick for officer selection then I could be buggered. But they do it again at the AIB, and while that's also a pass/fail test, you can be sure I'll be running as fast as I can for that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dondon Blue Jokes 0
A Nautical Jokes 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0