Pre joining medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by shane1984, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is involved in this? what sort of things do they test?

2. You get fingered :whew:

3. See threads passim, ad infinitum!

4. you groped by a pervy old doctor, well i did

5. oh sounds good. can i have a go....................hehe

6. not sure about that
    lol

7. Hi, first time in here so be nice to me. :D

Just need some info on re-joining, i was in for 5 years and left in mar 2005 with help from my dr who said i was suffering PTS and put this on my med docs. My question is any dr or anyone who say if this will stop me re-joining. I have had no treatment since leaving except in Jun 2006 for anciety (i think thats how you spell it) after my gran passed away.

Any advice please

8. I was lucky, got a female doc :) :) :)

9. Please forgive my ignorance, but WTF is PDS? As far as I'm concerned it's a type of suture material used to stitch abdominal walls back together, but I'm fairly certain this is not what you have.

10. yeh my mistake i put PDS when i should have put PTS :?:

11. Sorry - still never heard of it!

12. I think he means Post Trumatic Stress or something like that

SM

:nemo:

13. Shall we go for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)? And anxiety?

Have no idea of the offical line, but I would of thought a discharge with mental health problems and treatment in the last 2 1/2 years would pose significant problems.

Unless you join up as an occifer this time. :sign3:

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Medical Standards for entry which are contained on AFCO Form 5 (Guidance notes for applicants) states the following conditions may be a bar to entry:

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and
    bulimia.

This being the case, it depends on the individual circumstances and that can only be determined through your former service medical record which is scrutinised by the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) for all potential re-entrants who were medically discharged when the AFCO submits a written "Permission to Process" letter to the Head Honcho in Portsmouth.

If you are in receipt of a medical pension or were subject to a Medical Board of Survey following an employability board, then my guess is the chances are slim, but as always, the only definitive advice can be given by a medical professional. (Such as angrydoc).

Good luck to you.