Pre joining medical

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by rugger_bob, Oct 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can some one please advise, i broke my collar bone four weeks ago playing sport, it is healing fine although i have still got limited movement and a large lump, will this effect my medical next week for joing the RN ?

2. Not too sure mate, but they may say you are temporarily unfit for service in your current condition and do a new medical once it has finished its proper healing process as four weeks is not alot. I dont think they can say your are indefinatly unfit for service for someting like that. I think thay may want to see if it heals ok though.

good luck.

3. I am sure i replied to this before.As long as it has healed it should be fine.It sounds like its the Callus formation of bone that is the lump.As for the lack of range of movement,this is normal, as you dont use the muscles and joint due to either a sling or the pain the range is reduced.If you can you need to see a Physio to increase the ROM,swimming,doing the breaststroke will also help.dont rush it,or it will all go tits up.Can you do pressups?

4. Yes no problem with press ups, just touching the other shoulder and behind my neck is a little tricky at the moment, but it is getting alot better every day that passes.

Thanks guys for your advice.

5. i think you should be fine,just some gentle excersises to increase th ROM.

6. Thanks, what is covered in the medical, hearing, heart etc ??

7. The lot,you even get yer bollocks felt!Lucky you! LOL

8. Don't think they feel them anymore, well he didn't feel mine, i was gutted! lol

9. Awww,they take all the fun out dont they?Wonder if they have swapped it fr a digital rectal exam?

10. andym - hint when you're talking to patients etc - using "medical" terms like ROM is probably pointless. Some may know what you mean, others won't, but many will be too polite to say.

The swelling may well be callous, but it could also be the fact that a fractured clavicle usually sets short with one end of the fracture overlying the other by 5mm or so - and often the lump doesn't go away. Not that it matters or has any longterm repercussions. However, using the word callous implies that the swelling will completely resolve with remodelling etc.

11. Well pardon me!It could also be an osteosarcoma,Osteoporosis,need one go on???????It could ba any number of things.It also doesnt pay to go in too deep for patients either.

12. Agreed. However, if you hear a four-legged creature running towards you in jolly old Albion then think of horses, not zebras. Common things are common. Osteosarcoma in the clavicle is just about as far from common as you can get!

And I wasn't going in deep with patients - I was doing the opposite by not using words like ROM and callus (sic).

13. SO SAD I ONLY WANTED TO JOIN SO I COULD GET MY BOLLOCKS FELT, BOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, JUST HOPE ITS A NICE FEMALE NURSE LOL

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Posted before, but for your benefit:

[​IMG]

Will she do? She also looks great in her Wren Officer uniform (calm down Brigham!) :lol:

15. Fab, hope she is in Manchester next week !!!!!!!!!!! Knowing my luck it will be some 20 stone plus bird with a beard or even worse a gay doctor !!!!

16. sgtpepperband

Watch out for the 'both hands on shoulders' trick when he uses his rectal thermometer!! 8O

17. Do i get a bit of KY on the thermometer ????

18. sgtpepperband

Oh no, always go in dry! :oops:

19. OUCH !!!!!!!! WANT MY MUM !!!!!!!!!!, might slip a bit of vas on or IN before i go !!

20. sgtpepperband

And you use your Mum for that?! Sh*t, I knew you Northerners were weird but really, that is sick... :evil: