Pre-joining fitness booklet..

grippy_gecko

Midshipman
I hope I get sent a new one at some point as the one I got on my first visit to the AFCO is mainly just ticked in the achieved box, or I put "ran for 8 mins then cycled for 15" as I am having some bother with my shins when i run. I only just got a date for RT, but I started the pre joining fitness programme 3 weeks ago as I have a "long way to go" on my fitness I think, especially the running and swimming. With such long waiting times I am hoping I will be well beyond the basic levels of fitness of the first weeks of this booklet by the time I am ready to go to Raleigh in which case I could just put times in for the days marked as TEST and add whatever was on the other days to my workout for that day and then just sign and date it? Having looked through the booklet itself I don't find any instructions on filling in the training section. Are these given out at a later date? Like after you pass your pre-joining fitness test?

grippy_gecko

Midshipman
Ok new questions about the fitness booklet.

If one is trying to follow the programme but for whatever reason one misses a day, should you A) just keep going and ignore that you missed that day, B) repeat the whole week, C) do both the missed day and the current day together ie run and do press ups etc or D) wait till you should have a rest day and do the missed workout on that day.

What should you do if you have some other sport or activity planned for a day, is it ok to swap an hour of archery for a session of sit ups and dorsal raises?

Currently I am considering redoing week 3 as I have stuffed it up by missing training on Wednesday and doing archery on Thursday instead of swimming, and on Tuesday I had to do the running and the previous week's trunk curl strength training day that I didn't get done, all inside of 30 mins so I did a sprint for as long as I could with my shin pains then did HIIT on the cross trainer, then did the press ups, curls and planks as a massive superset. Then I felt a bit sick. Wasn't sure if doing strength training on Tue meant I should not do it on the Wednesday again because maybe doing press ups and all two days running would rob me of strength gains rather than improve my strength. Should I just wait till Sunday and start again from day1 week 3?

TrialsLife

Lantern Swinger
Ok new questions about the fitness booklet.

If one is trying to follow the programme but for whatever reason one misses a day, should you A) just keep going and ignore that you missed that day, B) repeat the whole week, C) do both the missed day and the current day together ie run and do press ups etc or D) wait till you should have a rest day and do the missed workout on that day.

What should you do if you have some other sport or activity planned for a day, is it ok to swap an hour of archery for a session of sit ups and dorsal raises?

Currently I am considering redoing week 3 as I have stuffed it up by missing training on Wednesday and doing archery on Thursday instead of swimming, and on Tuesday I had to do the running and the previous week's trunk curl strength training day that I didn't get done, all inside of 30 mins so I did a sprint for as long as I could with my shin pains then did HIIT on the cross trainer, then did the press ups, curls and planks as a massive superset. Then I felt a bit sick. Wasn't sure if doing strength training on Tue meant I should not do it on the Wednesday again because maybe doing press ups and all two days running would rob me of strength gains rather than improve my strength. Should I just wait till Sunday and start again from day1 week 3?

Rollback to your date of birth, start again there. Not much else could go wrong the second time round?

WhatTheDeuce

Midshipman
I Remember doing and following the booklet. I completed and signed the 8 weeks but never got ased for it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, if you're really that motivated, then do it! it shows commitment and patience. I'f you can't be arsed, then you can just F*** off to Civvy street.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
They don't expect you to have done exactly every thing in the booklet, they expect you to turn up fit enough to get through new entry training. If you aren't fit enough then you can't say they haven't warned you, and remedial fun awaits.

There are lads who turn up that have served with the RMR, they aren't expected to have spent the previous 8 weeks doing less phys than they normally would.

Take the hints from the booklet about what you should be able to do, i.e. running, situps, pushups and circuit training, as well as a vague appreciation of how to swim.