Pre Joining Course - Requirments

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CynicalBrit, Dec 27, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey there, i'm aware of what you do on the course etc, and i'm about to do my fitness test, however i want to make sure i focus on certain fitness sections to guarantee a pass, so what are the requirements for the tasks set on the course ? :)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only pass/fail physical elements are the 1.5 mile outdoor run which must be completed within PJFT times, plus 10% leeway. (Why 10%? I know not). There is also a 50 metre swimming assessment in 4 minutes which is pass/fail.

Do not underestimate the phys - you will also do quite stiff 'warm-ups" and gym sessions including press-ups, sit ups, etc., prior to the assessed serials and a surprisingly large number fail & lose their provisional entry date. An increasingly common issue is people arriving with a BMI over 25.

If you religiously follow the pre joining fitness programme, available from your AFCO or downloadable from the RN website, you should be OK.

Incidentally, you must also have passed your pjft within 6 months of attending your prnc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ah ok , seems all good at the moment then, my fitness isn't in top spec but i'm intensifying it alot more now, got my fitness test wednesday, easily pass it been running at constant 15.5kmh on a treadmill, so i'm good at that, swimming i'm pretty class at so shouldn't have many issues at the moment, thanks for the help mate
  4. Ninja_Stoker

No worries. Just keep your phys ticking-over, don't take your foot off the gas.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the help mate, well hopefully get me date's soon :D
  6. I'd do road running also as its lot easier to run on the treadmill at the speed than it is on the road!
  7. Is having a BMI of over 25 an issue at the PRNC? Thought at the Medical it was 28 or something, guessing as long as you can still pass all the tests a BMI of over 25 isn't a fail ?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

If your BMI is 28+ the odds are your entry date could be deferred.
  9. @Ninja_Stoker I passed my PJFT today for the RNR and passed my medical recently too with a BMI of 27. You worry me above when you mention there's an issue with a bmi over 25 or am I ok? I'm not fat but I do a lot of weights etc in the gym so well proportioned.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  10. Ignore the above, you've already answered my question lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1