Pre Budget Bollocks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Dec 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So Darling is going ahead with the VAT rise as he said, fair enough!
    However he hasn't mentioned removing the 2p on fuel he added as a stop gap!!

Cnut

2. There is another 2p fuel rise due in March plus of course whatever inflation and rises in oil prices brings

3. Here are the main points. Seems a load of bollocks to me as well.

Economy forecast to shrink 4.75% in 2009, worse than 3.5% forecast in April
    Growth of 1%-1.5% expected in 2010 and 3.5% in 2011 and 2012
    Forecast borrowing of £178bn in 2009, £3bn higher than predicted in April
    Estimated borrowing of £176bn in 2010 and £140bn in 2011, falling to £96bn in 2013
    Budget deficit to be halved by 2013
    Estimated public cost of bank bailouts cut from £50bn to £10bn
    Total spending in 2010-11 to rise by £31bn.
    Current spending to fall by 0.8% between 2011-2 and 2014-5
    One-off 50% tax on bank bonuses of more than £25,000
    Inheritance tax to be frozen at £325,000 until 2011
    VAT to return to 17.5% from 15% from 1 January 2010. No other changes to VAT
    All national insurance rates to rise by 0.5% from April 2011
    Increase in corporation tax for small businesses to be deferred
    Stamp duty holiday on certain properties to end on 1 January 2010
    Under-24s to be guaranteed work or training after six months out of work
    Basic state pension will rise by 2.5% in April 2010
    Child and disability benefit to rise by 1.5% in 2010
    Contributions to public sector pensions to be cut by £1bn a year
    All public sector pay settlements to be capped at 1% for two years from 2011
    Bingo duty to be cut from 22% to 20%
    £160m investment in low-carbon and renewable projects
    £200m extra investment for Warm Front insulation scheme, helping 65,000 households
    Boiler scrappage scheme for 125,000 households
    Electric cars to be exempt from company car tax for five years
    New 50p tax on landline phones to pay for superfast broadband
    New 10% tax on income from patents to boost science development
    Free school meals to an extra 500,000 low income fami

4. That will be the underwater basketweaving courses fully booked then. How can he guarantee them a job when Firms are gashing bodies at the current high rate?

Please tell me that's a joke. Just checking we've not nodded off?

That's a great incentive for inventors. Fund your own (or competitor's) research by a more inefficient means.

5. I thinkl I need some of what he is taking.

Despite the reality that the rescession in the UK is deeper and longer than in almost all our competitors he has the gall to suggest that 'because of the underlyiong strength of the economuy we are well placed to take advantage of the recovery.

The pound is worrth some 60 percent of what it was worth before the down turn started, GDP has fallen by almost 5% and he tells us the underlying economy is strong.

He is even dafter than my MP.

6. You were expecting honesty? 8O

As an aside, is it just me or does Osborne have the gravitas of a cloud? :?

7. Very quiet on the subject of Defence spending.More bad news being saved until the voters have had their say. :?:

8. Darling made a big mistake taxing the banker's bonus at 50% and this will bite the next gubbermint in the arse.

RM

9. An astute tactic then?

10. Deffo....... Especially since I can't see it being the One-Eyed Porridge Wog and his posse :roll:

11. OAPs to get 2.5% increase in ther pensions next year........hooooorah
    £60 Chistmas bonus for pensioners cancelled next year.......booooo
    Nett gain for single pensioner £1.25 per week.(approx)
    Don't spend it all at once folks :!:
    Oh and by the way don't forget to vote Labour at the General Election

12. Won't even pay the newspaper bill And this government has the audacity to make repeated claims that they are committed to protecting the vulnerable mambers of the community - disgraceful!

13. If you believe the Bankers when they say that the bonuses reflect real value generated for the bank them prerhaps taxing the bonus pool is a good way of taking tax from profit that the banks make. If on the other hand the bonuses are a scam them perhaps taxing them even harder should be considered.

14. Public sector pay to be capped at 1% !!!.... Doesn't apply to M.P.'s
    Just when you thought they couldn't get greedier :x

15. Although it grips mine to say it, the septic idea looks rather good

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/10/france-germany-back-uk-bonus-tax

I think it’s 5 years they have to keep the shares for. In their best interests not to further sod up the business, then. If that was applied to our “bankers†the threat of moving the businesses abroad would become rather hollow.

16. hi all
    this may not be in the right topic but;
    my mum got a job doing what i do for a football team which is waiting on events and matches shes really happy to do it cause it gets her out of the house. but to day the government said if she does do the work they will cut her pension even if its just 8 hours a week. she has worked all her life and hates being at home allday. i got her a job then the government say this how fecking stupid is it.
    i can't beileve in the future i will be working in a govenment department (well in the navy) they get away with things and yet someone who is looking to get out the house and meet new people can't do it this governtment is shite and so are their stupid rules. i bet if one of them was in her situation they would get away with it!!!!!!