Pre-AIB Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IainMcD, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been for mine, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I was declined on the basis of 'Not enough managerial experience' and 'limited knowledge of the fleet'.

We sat there for half an hour and he asked me about my family, interests, education, work and reasons for joining. He then pointed to a picture on the wall and said 'What ship is that?'. It was a T23 Frigate so I told him so, and said as to which one specifically I don't know. He then asked me about global operations.
    Luckily I had been reading a Navy newsletter in the waiting room so explained some of that, and some of what I already knew from the RN website.

After this he told me I had good communication skills, good character and enthusiasm, my reasons for joining were spot on, but that I had no managerial experience and limited knowledge of the fleet.

1. Im 21, how much management experience am I expected to have had? How much would an 18 year old straight out of school have?

2. He asked me two questions about the navy, I answered both fully, and correctly.

To be honest I feel like I have not been given a fair chance. It was as though the interviewer could not be bothered, or just wanted to get rid of me. He told me to 'Go get a job as a manager then come back in a few years'. Needless to say I am annoyed. Is this typical of the interview? Or am I right to feel hard-done-by?

What can I do now? I've transferred to a ratings application as I still want to join the navy. As a rating are there opportunities to become an officer?

2. He probably didn't mean literally managerial stuff, just when you've taken part in a team and to a certain extent led them

For example, I'm 15 and I've got tonnes of stuff like that under my belt, and I'm sure you have aswell, it's just not that specific. They're just looking for stuff which shows you havn't sat on your ass doing nothing your whole life.

3. I was Team Leader of our Warehouse at work for 3 years, I was Project manager on four projects over 2 years at university, including our final end of your assignment.

I had thought this would be satisfactory.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you feel truly aggrieved at the assessment, having slept on it for a few days, then whilst you have no automatic right of appeal, you may wish to write to the Regional Recruiting Officer at your local OCLC outlining the reasons for your discontent.

With regard managerial experience for younger applicants, in general terms the following things can indicate management potential: previous membership of uniformed youth organisations, completion of Duke of Edinburgh awards, organising charity events or sports fixtures, captaining sports teams, mentoring younger students at school, being a school prefect, Students Union membership, school council membership, Princes Trust schemes and similar positions of responsibility.

5. Ninja, would Ten Tors be ok for this section of the interview (It's not the only thing i've done, just fairly important)