Pre 1975 service for pensions

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
I am afraid not. Before April 75 pension were awarded to officers who had 16 yrs paid service after the age of 21 and other ranks who had 22 yrs paid service after the age of 18.

At the time, my generation of matelots didn't really realise how lucky we'd turn out to be as members of the AFPS (April) 75 pension scheme. The two amendments to Forces Pensions since then have been complete rip-offs.
I was 18 in July 1975 (and at sea on a Leander-class frigate) so my pensionable service kicked-in from then, even though (having joined at Ganges aged 15) I'd already been in the RN for almost 3 years. Now aged 59 and 50 weeks, my big-buck payday is almost upon me......I've called my bank and informed them that there's going to be a large injection of readies fairly soon, just so that they don't think that I'm laundering any coin for the odd drug baron or two!! And a handy little sum every month from hereon in will bolster it further.
Retirement? Yep, I'm thinking about it, but I actually enjoy my job so I'll crack-on for the foreseeable......

Good evening Vauxhaul, I have just joined the forum today after being hassled by one of my sons to check if I am due a pension of any sort. It appears from your previous reply that I am definitely not, but I have to ask the question.

I joined Ganges in June 1955 and left in June 1967. Can you just put me out of my misery and I will continue stacking the shelves! Best regards Ploppy

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am afraid not. Before April 75 pension were awarded to officers who had 16 yrs paid service after the age of 21 and other ranks who had 22 yrs paid service after the age of 18.

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
Good evening Vauxhaul, I have just joined the forum today after being hassled by one of my sons to check if I am due a pension of any sort. It appears from your previous reply that I am definitely not, but I have to ask the question.

I joined Ganges in June 1955 and left in June 1967. Can you just put me out of my misery and I will continue stacking the shelves! Best regards Ploppy
Janner is absolutely right, I'm afraid.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dondon Blue Jokes 0
A Nautical Jokes 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0