Prayer for Polaris

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by etsandy, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Folks,

Really hope someone would be able to help me out here - i'm desperate to get hold of a electronic copy of the 'Prayer For Polaris' that was found on the book handed to the crew comiing off Repulse upon de-com I seen this as a kid (son of the chief stoker on Repulse) and now serving on V-Boats, I aim to do a lecture on the history of Bombers, and would love to have this in full as part of my lecture. it is refred to in tbhis post: Here as containing the text "Give us the will, but never the wish, to obey the order to fire. But O Lord, if it be thy will, grant that that order may never need to be given." It also states that this prayer is availible in full at the chaplaincy at Faslane. I would but VERY greatfull of anyone that would be able to provide a full quote of this prayer.

Many thanks in advance,

Sandy

2. SP :wink: It's inscribed on the wall in St John’s Chapel in Faslane.

3. etsandy

I've just edited what I originally wrote which was to advise you to ring the Chaplaincy at Faslane and ask for a copy, but on re-reading your post more carefully it dawned on me that you are not in a position to err ring around.......

If you would like me to, I will ask the Chaplaincy at Faslane for a copy and I will type up what they give me here, in this thread.

I do hope that this will be in time. When do you need to have sight of it by?

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Somewhere, buried deep in my filing system I have some commissioning books including Repulse, Revenge and I think Renown from their initial commissions (my old man was a CPO tiff on Repulse during build until sometime during the second commission). Let me know if you would like to see a scan of one or more of these, and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

5. Thanks for the reply's guys,

soleil; I would be very gretfull if you would be able to aquire a copy of that for me, I have to give my lecture on 4/2/10 so a good bit of time!

flagwagger; yes that would also be good if you have any of the scan's, its very hard to get hold of any of the media from the Polaris boats, and obviously that servs as a good 50% of the lecture!!

Thanks again!!

6. PM Red Sailor, He will have it, and more, and he will be pleased to help you out. Pedro Dickinson /Merseyside Submariners Association. I have his e mail address , if you require it :wink:

7. If you could please scouse?

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

9. Jobs a goodun

10. etsandy

Have spoken to the Chaplaincy at Faslane; the prayer's on its way to me by e-mail and will be written up for you on here tonight.

Soleil

11. That will be interesting - I never knew such a thing existed.

12. I went to the decommissioning of Polaris and have just looked at a booklet I was given. Inside the front cover is a prayer which states it was written by an early Polaris Commanding Officer, I dont know if this is what you are looking for:

Lord thou commanded us saying "thou shalt not kill".
    Thou knowest that we prepare ourselves constantly to kill, not one but
    thousands, and that by this preperation we believe we help to preserve
    peace among nations.
    Do thou, who gave man the knowledge to fashion this terrible weapon,
    give him also the sense of responsibility to control its use. So that fear
    for the consequences may indeed maintain peace until that day when love not
    fear shall control mens actions. Give us the will, but never the wish, to
    obey the order to fire, O God, if it is thy will that order may never need
    be given.
    Amen

I hope this helps, I have the commissioning booklet of Repulse and there is no mention of a Polaris prayer so this could be what you are looking for.

13. Attributed to Captain Michael Henry, RN.

[​IMG]

CO HMS RESOLUTION (Port) Build/First Polaris firings.

Died on November 6, 2008, aged 80.

Two obituaries here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article5232560.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article5232560.ece

14. An immensely kind member of the staff at the Chaplaincy at Faslane went into the church at HMS Neptune today and sat and copied the prayer verbatim from the wall for me. He has sent me this:

Dated 21st January 1968

Lord Thou commanded
    "Thou shalt not kill"
    Thou knowest that we prepare ourselves constantly to kill,
    not one but thousands, and that by this preparation we believe
    we help to preserve peace amongst nations.

Do Thou, who gave man the knowledge to fashion this terrible
    weapon, give him also the sense of responsibility to control its use;
    so that fear for the consequences may indeed maintain peace

Until that day when love, not fear, shall control all men's actions,
    give us the will, but never the wish, to obey the order to fire; oh God,
    if it is thy will, grant that that order may never need to be given.

Amen

15. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

BZ to the chaplaincy staff HMS Neptune

16. Thats Great!!

Thanks everyone especialy dhoby & soleil for their help with this project that is exactly that Prayer I was looking for, thank you both for obviously going out of your way to help :D I think all would agree a very sombre and true prayer even for my self someone that never done the Church PJT. Also a big thanks to Neptune Chaplaincy Staff!!

Onwards with the lecture!! :D

17. ....& Soleil :wink: