Practical Leadership Tasks

sara21

Lantern Swinger
Firstly, I am sorry if anyone is growing tired of us ‘Newbies’ crashing the party with all of our “please help me†talk.

The reason that I am posting about the AIB…

If like me, as I am sure many will, you have never really been challenged- the thought of the AIB is the most gut wrenching feeling EVER! GCSE, A-levels, Degree…pisssh I would rather sit a million Finals than an AIB and I haven’t even had one yet.

My question (this time) is regarding the Practical Leadership Tests. Does anyone have any tips/advice? I am quite gregarious in real life, and of course I will be myself at all times (never been very good at being anyone else) BUT I don’t want to make a serious Faux pas.

Cheers S

Also does anyone have any links to some basic grammar revision? (I can’t find any decent ones). I have decided I am unsure about the old
, ; -

wookie

I would say communicate exactly what it is you want your team to do (especially if you get "Stick", who can be remarkably stupid at times), make sure you stand back and don't get too involved, and have a plan! Hopefully that will help, but there are no hard and fast rules, you can only do your best.

Good luck

Andy

sara21

Lantern Swinger
Just a bit of a spit and polish on the name or have they shaken up the actual tasks too?

All very confusing! DCT, PLT... we aren't going to be tested on acronyms are we???

jesse650

War Hero
they have changed the bias on the tasks themslves a little.....as for acronyms it's always possible.......I'm supposed to know upwards of 1900.....fat chance! :)

the only rule is once you have told your team what the task is and have decided on a stratergy and the task is under way do not get involved.... unless of course you have appointed a new team leader.......

sara21

Lantern Swinger
By do not get involved i am guessing that you mean- instruct but do not actually lift every plank yourself?

Martini

Midshipman
Hi sara,

Whenever we get DCT/ PLT practice in our unit some of the advice (as said above) is stand back, have a plan, nominate timekeeper, almost shout to be heard, keep things moving (even when they are going well).

I am also awaiting an AIB sometime in March I believe.

Just another tip for you ALWAYS ask you team for there views and any ideas that they might have dont get focused on your own plan as it might not be the best.

jungly_wafu said:
Just another tip for you ALWAYS ask you team for there views and any ideas that they might have dont get focused on your own plan as it might not be the best.
I hope you're not using my name in vain! 8O :wink: :lol:

FunDiver

Midshipman
Sara,

Be confident in your plan and speak up (even if you're not confident in the plan it will sound good). When you are given your task, look for the simplest way of achieving it.
At the start there will be a 'Leaderless task' a task to be completed by all without a single leader. Try and dominate it :wink: by taking charge of the situation (points make prizes), above all it will give you the confidence for your own task.
Don't be afraid to boss people around :twisted: (you won't ever meet them again) don't say 'Please' say 'NOW' :wink:

I think that as you have the balls to ask all these questions in advance, you will do well at AIB. :)

Good luck

FunDiver

Midshipman
jungly_wafu said:
Good point Wafu! Tell them your idea at your brief and then say "Does anyone else have any ideas?" Write theirs down too and then formulate your final plan. Praise them for any good ideas too. :wink:

Very important, always ensure your team fully understand what your instructions are :roll: :D

Best way is to ask them if they understand what their roles are before starting on the task..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gammaguy117 Practical joke Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
S Leadership Qualifications The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
MoD_RSS Africa Minister champions UK leadership to help educate girls and end preventable deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities Baroness Williams speaking at the Government Equalities Office's LGBT Leadership Summit MoD News 0
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS The new normal: leadership in the climate crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leadership in European space telecommunications set to continue as new report shows benefits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Chancellor's speech at the GG2 Leadership Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Leadership Centre programme launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Sponsors the First Youth Leadership Summit for the 4Rs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 projects funded to extend UK’s leadership in Earth Observation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New funding heralds UK's leadership in low-carbon automotive future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Local knowledge. National action. International leadership. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
A Leadership opportunities for an aspiring officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Good NHS leadership starts with culture change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: LLWR Leadership Team shows support for anti-bullying campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Leadership within the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary reaffirms leadership in NATO on Washington visit MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Officers and Leadership Joining the Royal Navy 35
Good CO Women in Leadership - RN Lt (Guardian) The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State Michael Fallon's speech to FCO leadership conference MoD News 0
BFRS ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership & Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Seaweed A lesson in leadership from the 1940s RCN History 1
Z Junior Rates' Leadership UPO/Careers Office 40
BFRS BFRS Course Of the Day (Ashridge Leadership Workshop) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
F Rothiemurchus leadership course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Western Morning News: "Dartmouth BRNC Cadets' Lesson In Leadership From 1SL" Bases / Shore Est 0
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
N Leadership or management? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
I Junior Leadership Course Portsmouth ! SCC and URNU 1
H Leadership in the Navy The Fleet 18
finknottle Cameron's disgraceful failure of leadership The Gash Barge 126
SILVER_FOX Leadership course joining instructions The Fleet 30
finknottle Dithering leadership Current Affairs 37
finknottle Ed Miliband wins Labour leadership race Current Affairs 50
soleil Isle Of Wight County Press: "Leadership Recognised" Bases / Shore Est 0
S The next leadership debate Diamond Lil's 2
T Potential Officer Leadership Course 21 - 26 March Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Company of Leathersellers' Trophy for Outstanding Leadership The Fleet 1
C Examples of Leadership Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
L how to show leadership potential? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
R Leadership The Fleet 10
Ant_H Potential Officer Leadership Day Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Intelligence and Leadership The Quarterdeck 31
PartTimePongo Labour leadership contest to open Current Affairs 1
Polycell POs leadership course at Royal Arthur............. Bases / Shore Est 67
schoolboy Leadership building The Fleet Air Arm 22
MasterChief CLM Command & Leadership Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14