Power Cuts and mass Blackouts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Sep 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to the Energy Advisor to the Government there will be power cuts in the next decade.
    According to Ed Milliband MP there will be no "mass blackouts" and we build the next generation generators in 2017....which leaves two years to both construct and bring on tap. Just who do you believe? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8253078.stm
  2. Now maybe you will see how we have it in winter up here,dark 24/7 :D
  3. In response to the question, I would believe David MacKay every time. I doubt that Milliband has read all the way through MacKay's excellent book "Sustainable Energy without the Hot air" (available free at http://www.withouthotair.com/ ) because if he did he wouldn't be making such complacent statements about no power cuts. Government policy consists largely of letting the energy market decide what will be available rather than take the strategic decisions that are needed to set the right balance between carbon reduction targets, energy security and overall cost. The fact that so little Renewable technology is manufactured in UK just shows how little faith that the market has in the current policy.
  4. I agree wholeheartedly!
  5. That's because your a mushroom 8O :D :wink:
  6. ...kept in the dark and fed on shi..... anyways, back on topic to a degree.
    If we need all sorts of energy creating devices on stream PDQ, why did a company making wind turbines on the Isle of Wiget go Tango Uniform?
    Or is there a plan to cosy up to the Frogs who will sell us some spare nuclear capacity?
  7. As Milliband would seem to have the 'power' to see into the future maybe he could PM me the winning numbers for next weeks euro millions.
  8. You know that i will get you back oppo dont you,a certain pic of a certain rating in a certain street in a certain part of the world that begins with "S" and ends in "pore" :D dont forget that i still love ya, :wink:
  9. Norwegian mushrooms are entitled to round the clock warmth and a peep of light every day to check they're OK. Northern Norwegians on the other hand are allowed a chink of light every so often and warmth from their moose/reindeer blankets. Norwegians boots however receive special loving care! Those who are trodden underfoot in Tromsø have HEATED PAVEMENTS to stop the snow ruining them. So much for electric blankets :twisted:

Tramps in Norway migrate to Tromsø every Winter to enjoy their heated pavements. ;)
  10. They could just flash up the Nuclear boats mothballed in Rosyth and that would keep FIFE lit up anyway

Wind farms do not work when there is no wind
    Light sensors do not work at night or when there is no Sun

Nuclear works 24/7 and we have lots of qualified Jack to run them at a lot less cost than buying in from the Frogs

Jack McH
  11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Wind farms do not work if there's either too much or too little wind so unlike fossil fuel and nuclear plants they have a low avaialability meaning that alternative sources of energy are required as a backup. Since you need backups for wind power, and the wind turbines themselves are extremely carbon intensive during the manufacturing process, their green credentials are being recognised as lesser in magnitude than perhaps had been preivously claimed.
  12. Fife Cooncil did a trial with wind powered generators at various schools across the county a while back to see if there was any significant returns and savings on electric power accounts.

All the fitted generators ran at a very low output ----payback in terms of capital would have taken decades and would not have paid for them selves by the end of their service life .
    Savings on power consumption negligable --

Fcukin waste of money

13. Thingy,

The Kommune in Hammerfest have a 3 year project going on as i write this,yes its heated pavements in the town centre,not as difficult as it sounds,they just pump sea water through big plassy pipes which are under the pavements and because the sea temp is only +3/5 it melts the snow and ice,so if you would be so good as to send out the message that the tramps can move back here in approx 2 years we of the town Hammerfest will be very gratefull 8)