Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potentially stupid question

I know this might sound silly, but with putting my application form in I want to make sure its all right, and so I have to ask the question. At the end of the application there is the section with passport number and national insurance number, the problem is, at the top is a bit that says army only next to one of the points (mothers maiden name) now I know its 99% likely that Im being stupid and you still fill in that section but I don't want to appear a prat in mjy first official contact with the navy! someone just tell me Im being stupid and that filling that in is required!

officer_inland

Lantern Swinger
I think the army bit is shaded (vague memory if thinking along a similar line). But they have to check all the numbers when you go for your tests and hand in your documents, so they'll make sure everything is ok before filing it. But think more along the lines of "would they need this" and I'm guessing that you will want to be paid etc if you're successful and so yes they will need this info :)

I

In_my_day

officer_inland said:
But think more along the lines of "would they need this" and I'm guessing that you will want to be paid etc if you're successful and so yes they will need this info :)
I'm intrigued in this leap of thought.
1. It says "Army only" and presumably Unseendeath (is there a site for choosing these Newbie nom-de-guerre?) is joining the Navy so why would "they need it"?
2. What possible connection is there between you mother's maiden name and receiving an RN salary? I know JPA can be a pain but surely this is not some new twist :twisted:

IMD

incitatus

Midshipman
The question isn't totally clear, but I think he (or she) is asking whether he (or, that is, she) needs to fill in the NI number section. The answer is yes, because the 'Army only' instruction extends so far as mother's maiden name and no further. It doesn't mean Navy candidates don't have to fill out the rest of the page

Incidentally, you can still be paid without an NI number, so long as it's cash in hand and HMRC don't find out. At this stage it is probably a means of figuring out who exactly you are, as opposed to the many other unseendeaths born on the same day.

I seem to remember the NHS number section on a later form has too few boxes printed on the form, making everyone wonder if they are putting the right number in. You can ask about that when you come to it though.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To clarify the issue, it is indeed a totally crap form & gawd knows why on earth it isn't available online anyway:

Passport, National Insurance & NHS Numbers are required on the application form (AFCO Form 4)

Mother's maiden name not required on this form. But, it IS required on the Security Questionnaire (MoD Form 1109).

My sympathy for having to run the gauntlet of duplicated, inadequate & unnecessary paperwork.

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
sorry to hijack this thread but just wondering how long it takes for the application form to be sent out. It was two weeks today i went to the afco...maybe im just being impatient

cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
janner said:
Would the world stop if he put his mothers maiden name of the form?

Nope, doesn't matter one jot. We don't even shoot 'em at dawn for that one anymore. :lol:

joe_145 said:
sorry to hijack this thread but just wondering how long it takes for the application form to be sent out. It was two weeks today i went to the afco...maybe im just being impatient

cheers

Generally those visiting the AFCO who know what job they want will take an application form & return it to the AFCO to get the ball rolling.

Those that just complete an Expression of Interest Form, as they're not sure what they wish to do, will simply get a mailshot of glossy brochures from "our people" who will then call you & invite you to a presentation, usually two or three weeks later (but not on Bank Holidays). Application forms are not routinely sent out unless they are specifically requested as it tends to frighten potential applicants. Apparently.

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
oh...gutted the good man at the AFCO said he would send me an application form...maybe i should ring them and request one then....
cheers ninja

tomleecee

Midshipman
joe_145 said:
oh...gutted the good man at the AFCO said he would send me an application form...maybe i should ring them and request one then....
cheers ninja

It's all changed as of today (1st Sep) I'm afraid. Now you have to go down to the AFCO and get an Application for Recruit Test form (you'll get this after watching the new presentation DVD). Gawd knows why it's all changed (and why the new careers brochures are the same thickness as the Argos catalogue), but that's the new application system in a nutshell. The AFCO 4 is no more! Poet/didn't know it etc etc :lol:

officer_inland

Lantern Swinger
tomleecee said:
joe_145 said:
cheers ninja

It's all changed as of today (1st Sep) I'm afraid. Now you have to go down to the AFCO and get an Application for Recruit Test form (you'll get this after watching the new presentation DVD). Gawd knows why it's all changed (and why the new careers brochures are the same thickness as the Argos catalogue), but that's the new application system in a nutshell. The AFCO 4 is no more! Poet/didn't know it etc etc :lol:

Just so long as people already in the process don't have to start all over again :lol:

tomleecee

Midshipman
officer_inland said:
tomleecee said:
joe_145 said:
cheers ninja

Just so long as people already in the process don't have to start all over again :lol:

Nah, if you're already in the process of joining it'll carry on as before. It's just for those applying from the 1st of September. They're the ones who'll be treated to watching my ugly mug on the new DVD!

officer_inland

Lantern Swinger
tomleecee said:
officer_inland said:
tomleecee said:
joe_145 said:
cheers ninja

Nah, if you're already in the process of joining it'll carry on as before. It's just for those applying from the 1st of September. They're the ones who'll be treated to watching my ugly mug on the new DVD!

Lol, I was only joking but thanks anyway :)

glad to see there is already a thread entitled 'Potentially stupid question...'; making mine slightly less embarrassing!

I have just finished completing my AIB form Q101, and the Annex A bit. Just before I was about to post it, I suddenly though I remembered reading about supplying 4 passport photos, with your name written on each photo on the back. But I can't find mention of this ANYWHERE amongst the paperwork I received in the mail - now I am unsure if I have imagined it, or somehow lost one of the pieces of paper.

Anyone out there filling there's in right able to enlighten me at all?

feeling suitably stupid.
N.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
littleshinydemon said:
glad to see there is already a thread entitled 'Potentially stupid question...'; making mine slightly less embarrassing!

I have just finished completing my AIB form Q101, and the Annex A bit. Just before I was about to post it, I suddenly though I remembered reading about supplying 4 passport photos, with your name written on each photo on the back. But I can't find mention of this ANYWHERE amongst the paperwork I received in the mail - now I am unsure if I have imagined it, or somehow lost one of the pieces of paper.

Anyone out there filling there's in right able to enlighten me at all?

feeling suitably stupid.
N.

As well as four full length phot's of your mum with her maiden name on the back.

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
tomleecee said:
joe_145 said:
cheers ninja

man that sucks that means that i gotta take another day off work unpaid...maybe thats why they didnt send me an app form when they said i would....nothings never easy...never mind gotta do what you gotta do

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Potentially a Very Stupid Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 17
vauxhall A Potentially Significant Judgement? Finance & Pensions 0
D Few questions regarding potentially joining RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Z Another potentially bone question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
chinamatelot German war graves - U Boat potentially resurfacing Current Affairs 4
slim Smart Motorways, a good idea or a Stupid one? Current Affairs 25
P Stupid self harm Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K Stupid question alert !! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Newbies - 'Stupid Question' or 'No such thing' Diamond Lil's 16
birdman26 Faslane stupid question Bases / Shore Est 21
S Just another stupid question about drug convictions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Stupid Question: how to get from ferry to AIB RFA 6
K Stupid question: presentation evening dress code Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
Merlin28 Stupid question probably The Gash Barge 4
janner Who says Scousers are stupid Miscellaneous 14
stan_the_man Whats the most stupid thing you've done Diamond Lil's 63
K Stupid Question Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 34
jefferson1666 stupid asthma problems.. sorry angry doc o worry alot about these things.. Health & Fitness 18
S How mad/stupid at school were you? The Gash Barge 23
Joe_Crow C4 news - Deliberate lies or just too stupid to report things accurately? Current Affairs 10
The_Caretaker Plane Stupid Land Ops 0
Shakey Stupid business URLs Miscellaneous 0
T No such thing as a stupid question. Diamond Lil's 20
finknottle Are they really that stupid? Current Affairs 68
C Silly stupid orange mobile contracts argh!!!!! RANT! The Gash Barge 8
seenoffteefcuk LUCKY, UNLUCKY, OR PLAIN STUPID. Diamond Lil's 7
sgtpepperband Are Birds Stupid? The Quarterdeck 18
NotmeChief Some say Americans are Stupid - are they? The Quarterdeck 2
R Probably a stupid question... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
W Probably a stupid question but..... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
SILVER_FOX THIS WEEKS WINNER OF THE "MOST STUPID" AWARD GOES TO .... Current Affairs 13
H Weapon tech, stupid question. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
scouse_B Stupid Remarks Submariners 48
T Stupid question... History 9
seafruit what?! stupid computer! Blogs 0
W Off to Raleigh - 4th Nov - Quick ( stupid ) question! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
andym Mr Livingstones latest stupid idea! Diamond Lil's 17
dixie_gooner How stupid can he be? Diamond Lil's 29
josiecats Stupid Question No 4.. WHY????????????? The Gash Barge 16
P Second Time Stupid Diamond Lil's 8
brazenhussy stupid interview!! The Quarterdeck 17
P stupid question coming up Submariners 14
T Some stupid questions Submariners 31
S stupid train journeys of our time... Diamond Lil's 11
andym Stupid Questions Diamond Lil's 22
D Stupid names for RN operations Diamond Lil's 15
D Medals Question Blogs 4
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2