Potential Warfare Officer - Advice and Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sussexian93, Jan 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone!
    My name is X, and I am a potential Warfare Officer. I am now at the stage where I am filling in my final forms and have an AIB date (21 April). I have a day at sea on HMS Biter soon (hopefully February) and I am supposed to be having an acquaint sorted for me some when soon. Furthermore I have a Command, Leadership and Management day in Liverpool this week, so I am quite deep into my training now.
    I have spent some time on the forums and to be honest it helped me pass my SIFT interview.
    My questions essentially are as follows:
    - Does anyone know what I should expect for an agenda for the CLM day?
    - Similarly what will I need other than sort of gym gear? (Information on this has been very sparse so far)
    - What kind of things might I have to write an essay on for this day ( I have been informed there is one similar to the AIB but my knowledge is patchy, albeit progressing).
    - I have only so far had to know very roughly what the role of a warfare officer is day-to-day, and my ideas of it are still a bit vague, other than my aforementioned acquaint where can I attain this knowledge?
    - Does the CLM day have an AIB like interview?
    - Will it matter too much in training If I am not very good at firearms training, I was put off it at a young age in Sea Scouts, but I am sure I can improve, at what stage of training does it come in?

So sorry for the minor essay.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Lesson 1.

PERSEC!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

3. Is that because I put my name in it?
    I'll change it now, but I figured it wouldn't matter as they have all of the information on me anyway.

4. ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1390751876.303741.jpg

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 2
  5. exJenny

Who's they?

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This is a public forum, so anybody - regardless of whether they have a connection with the RN or not - is party to any information that you post. Might not be a concern for you now, but it might come back to bite you on the arse when/if you join the RN and have access to sensitive information.

7. i don't really know, I am completely knew to this whole thing I just wanted advice . . . I'm guessing the advice is don't reveal who you are on the internet.

8. ok so i have emailed about getting my name changed too and i won't link this to my facebook or anything.
    i am now following the persec rules properly so no damage done hopefully.
    does anyone have answers to my questions though?

9. exJenny

Have you tried the search function?

10. sgtpepperband

Okay, moving on... there is also a marvellous "search" function on this site. It is likely that all your questions have already been asked - and answered - with genuine and relevant information. Other threads of interest to you are listed in the "Joining Up" section:

Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting

Perhaps it might be a good time to start applying some of the occifer potential that you're keen to share with us, before you reach the dizzy heights of your AIB, etc..? :thumbleft:

11. i take your point but there is really not very much about CLM days. I was meant to get information about it last week but I haven't received an e-mail.
    it's in a few days and I don't know what to expect, even when trawling via the search function. I have looked.

12. sgtpepperband

It's Sunday. Maybe your informant is having a day off work...

13. however I got the email on monday telling me to confirm my place (which I promptly did) and information would follow (which it hasn't)

14. You'll get on well in the wardroom, asking everybody else to do things for you!

After a dump the paper is usually on the port or starboard side of the trap!!

15. i don't think it's fair to say i'm asking people to do things for me. I am just asking for information about whether anyone knows anything about these days because I am having trouble finding it out.
    I have gotten this far on my own, read nearly every bit of officer literature there is, sat through the AIB dvd about 3 times, sorted out some visits, rang up my local AFCO nearly every week for 6 months, physically trained my ass off, read the illustrious naval tales, sat through insufferable dan snow documentaries, done about a thousand searches, and tracked down an URNU commander in a gym (believe it or not). I have never posted on these forums before looking for anything, I just had some questions because I seem to have drawn a blank and I haven't got any information from whoever is administrating my course. I am mainly stuck because I've had barely any serving officers to talk to yet.

16. sgtpepperband

17. ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1390754497.234004.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. lol you guys are brutal at times ... :lol:

19. exJenny

They're all pussycats!

(Evil sadistic little bastards that moggies are!)

20. ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1390759844.133564.jpg