potential SUBMARINER

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SOOPAMAN, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have been looking at several roles in the Royal Navy and submariner has caught my interest.

I have a couple of questions I am looking for answers to..

Firstly I am looking at WE(SM). I was wanting to check that it is 1 in 3 shift patterns when at sea i.e. 4 hours on 8 hours off 4 hours on 8 hours off and so on. Is this right?

Also what is accomadation like on camp? for example at faslane? Is it single soldier accomodation?

And lastly I play ice hockey on civvy street and I know the RN has a number of ice hockey teams. Can someone in the submarine service play for a hockey team? and will a submariner have time to do this?

Any feedbcak will be greatly appreciated.

2. 6 on 6 off and repairing mics and headsets or scrubbing out sometimes off watch. aah the memories!

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Right, Those answers have confused me a little haha.

So WE(SM) dont do 4 on 8 off, they do 6 on 6 off now??

And what has a driving license go to do with my questions?

Thanks again.

5. Possibly that Faslane is about 4 miles from Helensburgh which is in its self a very small town 30 odd miles from Glasgow. Public transport is not thich upon the ground and taxis are expensive. If you are based in Faslane you need wheels and a D/L to make the best of the area.

Google Earth Faslane to see how remote it is.

Go here 11 people playing Ice Hockey have not had a RN team since tyhe early 1990's

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server?show=ConWebDoc.5850&outputFormat=print

Nutty

6. oh right haha. but my question was what is accomodation life for a single soldier (well, submariner)

I was curious to find out if it was single person accomodation on camp (when ashore) ?

7. Thankyou for that :)

I was just about to post that i had just found out about project neptune haha

Now Im just trying to find out about the shift/watch pattern when at sea..

Im sure for WE(SM) its 1 in 3 (4 hours on 8 hours off)

thanks again guys :)

8. Topstop has told you, the work or watch pattern is six hours on six hours off 24/7 whilst at sea. You may also have to turn to (WORK) while off watch and could also get engaged in exercises, attack teams or other evolutions, this comes with the territory.

In between you fit in feeding, hygiene, study, sleeping and relaxation time

Nutty

9. Don't know where you got that from, back afties (ET ME's) work 1 in 3. As stated previously, everyone else is 6 on, 6 off.

10. ah right, so its just marine engineering techs that work 4 on 8 off? weapons engineering techs do 6 on 6 off like everyone else?

cheers

11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Time to put this thread to the sword, it has no more use!

12. Gadzooks!! I do believe he's catching on. :roll: :lol:

13. by jove i think ive got it! haha!

14. THe NAVY does have an ice hockey team we have over 100 players i started the team in 2004 we have been inter service champions for two years running and have won some high profile events as well as large media coverage

the team is open to all serving navy and marines as well as ex forces :!:

15. Holy thread resurrection Batman!! 8O :lol: :batman:

16. Underwater Ice Hockey?

I'm no scientist, but there's something about that that I feel wouldn't work.

17. I am no way an expert, but I have read a webchat (I am trying to find it to link for you as it was very interesting) my understanding is that ME's work a shorter shift becasue of nuclear regulations, so everyone else does what is considered normal... 6 on 6 off

taken from royal navy website...

Q. What does the crew do in their spare time?

Typically, the submarine day is divided into 4 x 6-hour slots or watches. The majority of the submarine crew is divided into 2 watches, which will spend 6 hours "on-watch" followed by a period of 6 hours "off-watch". This cycle is repeated for the entire time that the submarine is at sea. When "on-watch", the crew will be actively operating their assigned equipment. When "off-watch" the crew will basically eat and sleep. Obviously reading, TV and studying for exams will also take up time. There are also limited facilities for keeping fit, with most submarines carrying an exercise bike, rowing machine and an assortment of free weights.

As ME seems to be an exception, I am not sure if there are others...

Cheers

18. Not just "nuclear regulations" whatever they are but the working conditions back aft. It can get frigging hot back there (they are steam driven after all), the only people Fwd who don't do 6 on 6 off are chefs. 2 do day shift and 1 is the night chef (preparing scran for next day, baking and doing brekky), that's the case for SSN's, never had a bomber so I suppose they're the same