Potential Service leaver question...

BradyBunch

Badgeman
I have had my head in JSP 534 and BR3..

Now, what is the stance for a service leaver when on ship? My aim is to tap-out at 22 years but have accepted EC, so guess that means I am PVR'ing. Of course, am professional and all that but once submitting my notice, my focus is less running the section and more sorting myself for a new life.

I guess my question is....Is there policy on assigning a relief on a sea going unit in this scenario???
If so, where is it???

Thanks

I have had my head in JSP 534 and BR3..

Now, what is the stance for a service leaver when on ship? My aim is to tap-out at 22 years but have accepted EC, so guess that means I am PVR'ing. Of course, am professional and all that but once submitting my notice, my focus is less running the section and more sorting myself for a new life.

I guess my question is....Is there policy on assigning a relief on a sea going unit in this scenario???
If so, where is it???

Thanks

The CM is only obliged to draft you ashore for your resettlement, but will try to get you ashore for a year before hand.

Against that, I know plenty (Officers and SRs) who've been "offered" an extension of Service so that they stay in a sea draft until their tx date, and then effectively get extended for the duration of leave/resettlement etc.

I'd suggest you need to have a chat with your CM.

BradyBunch

Badgeman
“Tap out”. How very American.
Good luck outside. Not the best of times to be thinking of leaving!!
A very good point. However, I currently feel I just exist rather than living, as I was a weekend warrior in my last assignment; I am again in this one. The brucie bonus, is that this time I get to go to sea.

I owe it to the wife to consider leaving, which my decision point is very soon. No point being (newly) middle-aged, married but not enjoying it, or even properly experiencing it. I will have a very good pension (which may get even better when the McLoud issue becomes more clear), so when is a good time?

I have done alright in the RN but aware that if my heart is no longer really in it, compounded with living onboard and only seeing the wife and life at weekends, I may become that bitter dinosaur, which is no good for anyone, more so the young'uns in my division.

The CM is only obliged to draft you ashore for your resettlement, but will try to get you ashore for a year before hand.

Against that, I know plenty (Officers and SRs) who've been "offered" an extension of Service so that they stay in a sea draft until their tx date, and then effectively get extended for the duration of leave/resettlement etc.

I'd suggest you need to have a chat with your CM.
Thank you. Just trying to collate as much info as I can so that in a short while, I can make the best informed decision as possible.

Waspie

War Hero
@BradyBunch If your not happy your not happy. It can cascade down and make others morose!!
It's an individual call, good luck as I said.
I was lucky, good job when in. Understanding, (to a degree), wife. Although the year I spent 43 days in the UK, not necessarily at home was a talking point.
So much unemployment at the moment, however, I would like to think once the cloud of Covid starts clearing the job situation improves.

BradyBunch

Badgeman
@BradyBunch If your not happy your not happy. It can cascade down and make others morose!!
It's an individual call, good luck as I said.
I was lucky, good job when in. Understanding, (to a degree), wife. Although the year I spent 43 days in the UK, not necessarily at home was a talking point.
So much unemployment at the moment, however, I would like to think once the cloud of Covid starts clearing the job situation improves.
Thank you :) I may have a kick in the head and love it again once the national mood changes in a little....but got to consider it, regardless!!!

Latest Threads