Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc.

Scribes86

If you are considering joining the RFA as an officer, and given how much information I've seen which was either out of date, contradictory, or just plain wrong, I thought it would be useful to share my successful experience (which is current as of August 2019). If this helps one person I will have achieved my aim, but hopefully this will help quite a few more, so if you've got a question, ask away and I'll do my best to answer it.

Scribes86

Nope. Just the mile and a half. They'll do a warm up routine which in my case involved jogging from the touchline to the centre line while doing different exercises (e.g. knees high, side step, lunges, etc.) but that part isn't assessed.

off for my AIB this time next week, curious as to what happens after BRNC Dartmouth, not managed to find out much from the main website about that.
Other than Engineering, Logistics, and Deck, what other branches are there within the RFA?
I know to progress through the ranks you need to complete additional courses to expand skills alongside the standard stuff for getting the relevant COC's. What are the options on courses for upping to 2E/O?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Not being funny "thatboatguy" but if you've got your AIB next week and you don't know what branches are in the RFA then you're not very well prepared!

I’m aware of that, but side note for you, went through my sift three weeks back, and since then I spent a week on a maritime course with little spare time, and got home to find my grandmother is in hospital with what’s looking like terminal cancer. A month ago I was at sea.

I have now since found the answer to my question, engineering is considered two branches, marine and systems, there’s logistics, deck, and comms, which I must admit I thought would be considered part of the deck department, but I guess that’s one of the differences between civvie street and the forces.

CReid1989

Maybe if you could share your experiences and give some valuable insight this website would be a much better place ‘Klanky67’. Absolutely no need for you to be an arse. We are all trying to further our career. Not ALL information is available online.

Sorry about your nan thatboatguy

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Thatboatguy I was trying to get across to you that you seem ill prepared for such a challenge as the AIB is. I wasn't expecting your backstory. Do you feel ready to take on this challenge? Perhaps postpone until you are?
P.S. We're not the armed forces .;)

Last edited:

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Maybe if you could share your experiences and give some valuable insight this website would be a much better place ‘Klanky67’. Absolutely no need for you to be an arse. We are all trying to further our career. Not ALL information is available online.

Steady on gobshite! If you took the trouble to look at just a few of my previous posts in the past 3 years on this website you'd see that I have taken the trouble to post a great deal of information for the benefit of others. As for you trying to further your career try doing research on here (clue is in the top right hand corner) and on other RN/defence websites, instead of cheating and asking others what was asked at their interview. You sound like a great candidate!

Thatboatguy I was trying to get across to you that you seem ill prepared for such a challenge as the AIB is. I wasn't expecting your backstory. Do you feel ready to take on this challenge? Perhaps postpone until you are?
P.S. We're not the armed forces .;)
Not gonna lie Klanky, I'm not 100%, but I think anyone who says they are is a cocky ****** who deserves a fail. I'll never claim to be the most clued up on the fine details of things, but I'm a team player and I'm told I have a fairly good memory, so with a bit of graft over the next few days I feel confident that I can fill the gaps in my knowledge and pull it all together. From what I heard my recruiter very rarely puts anyone forward for AIB after their first SIFT interview, they did with me, so that's given me a slight boost too.

one point I'm not sure on is where the RFA fleet is based. From what I've been able to gather, the Bay class are based in Falmouth, and I've seen Tide, Wave and Fort class ships in at Portland, though I'm fairly certain that's mostly just a re-supply facility and possible refit port rather than home base. Are you able to give any insight?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
There is no "Base" for RFA's like the RN ships have. At present certain shipyards are maintaining certain classes of ships. That means the Bay boats and Argus go to Falmouth for there drydock/maintenance by A&P. The Tide, Wave and FSS boats go to Birkenhead with Cammell Lairds.

There's no other base as such. Generally you'll spend most of your alongside time at the two places mentioned, Portland, Plymouth (normally on the buoy in the sound) or Garelochead (Faslane Navy Base).

I'm rather familiar with Garelochead, it's about 45 minutes from where I keep my yacht (hence the random name). Thanks for the clarification on that! I did wonder when the website said UK was the base!

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger

Further to my post last night criticizing you for asking people their interview questions , I now see you've deleted that post. You don't strike me as someone I'd trust in an Officer or Rating capacity. Have a rethink about your future career - like a Tory politician? :p

Here's a question for you. Different companies running different kinds of ships assign emergency duties differently. my first two ships the fire teams were made up of a crew member from each department, with a mix as back-up. the third ship it was engineers (officers and ratings) on the fire teams, with deck crew doing the organisation and management stuff within the fire response. What's the deal on RFA vessels? is it a mixed bunch on the fire teams, or a fire team for each area?

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
It’s exactly the same make up of the Standing Sea Emergency Party - SSEP on every ship. Certain departments provide specific roles for differing levels command. Whilst at sea they stay in this role fir the duration and are paid an additional monthly amount for this role. This changes slightly with the Harbour Emergency Organisation- HEO, although again this is the same make-up with different people fulfilling the role each day when they’re on duty. Make sense?

It’s exactly the same make up of the Standing Sea Emergency Party - SSEP on every ship. Certain departments provide specific roles for differing levels command. Whilst at sea they stay in this role fir the duration and are paid an additional monthly amount for this role. This changes slightly with the Harbour Emergency Organisation- HEO, although again this is the same make-up with different people fulfilling the role each day when they’re on duty. Make sense?
Yes I think so, so from what you're saying, hypothetically whilst at sea your emergency response party could consist of a motorman, a seaman, 3rd eng and 2off, and those specific people would respond to every emergency, regardless of what it is, for the duration, and if they're on duty at the time, there would be a designated person to cover their duties (watch keeping). Where the ship is in harbour, the response team is made up of those whom are on duty at the given time during the harbour visit, so in harbour it's function based rather than person based. Is that a fair assessment?

Latest Threads