Potential Officer Warfare Acquaint

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by prideofmanchester, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, anybody done this? The schedule looks great and I'm really looking forward to it. Quick question, what the devil is the Royal Navy Mile Fitness test? Is it the mile and a half, or a shortened version to a mile? Is this time recorded and does it have any bearing on my application or at the AIB?

Thanks

2. I did it about 2 years ago and it was brilliant. You meet some great people down there. As for the fitness test, I don't know if it's changed but it was a mile around the car park. About 5 or 6 laps I think. It's timed but they only do it so that you can assess your own fitness; it doesn't go any further. I did appallingly...they just tell you where you can improve if you're seriously considering joining.

3. I attended one back in March. The 'Mile fitness test' was just a session in the gym doing the bleep test. Don't worry too much about it, but you might as well do your best! It was a great few days!!! Have fun!

Adam

4. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

As I've searched, scanned the resultant threads and can't find what I'm after, I thought I'd tack it on to the end of this.

I've been a jammy so and so and been given a place on a Warfare Acquaint on a ship for 4 days. I'm really looking forward to it, but have absolutely no idea what to expect. I guess I'll be watchkeeping etc and making lots of cups of tea?

And useful or (non-useful/amusing/sarcastic) information gratefully received :)

5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Have you packed your webbing?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ignore him; he's just jealous you're not in the Ship's Office trying to balance the Cash Safe, or helping the Jack Dusties with blanket counting.

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is an ACQUAINT and therefore is NOT a pass/fail event. The only bearing it has on AIB is that you should be better prepared and have some good information having visited a RN establishment and spoken to some Warfare Officers. Any Fitness Test again is purely for your benefit to see how fit you are against the required standards. As a young Potential Officer Candidate you should not be failing a 1.5 mile run or bleep test!!

8. So, just to confirm Mr-Left-Hand-Seat-mental-maths-god, does a DTG mean anything in a flying brief ;-P

9. Magda

I sense there is some undercurrent running between the Warfare and Logistics Branches that I am not understanding.

Anyway, sounds good so far! :)

Out of interest, why would I need webbing? :-D

10. No need, about the only thing wrong is the being shouted at for 8 hours - it's only an acquaint, 4 should do.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do they reduce the 4 hours of enforced bumming then?

12. that's only after you pass IWO.

13. Magda

Depends on how good at helming I am, if I'm useless, I could well be on watch for 8 hours 'til I master it...