Potential Officer Question

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ninja_Stoker said:
With regard not having joined the URNU sooner, or indeed at all - there are plenty of common-sense responses, ranging from only recently developing an interest in joining the Royal Navy, possibly even influenced in part by people you may know already in the URNU.

The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

The idea of going to uni is primarily to obtain the best possible degree. Membership of clubs & societies is the choice of the individual but active involvement in clubs & societies, particularly sporting, does aid personal development and may enhance the individual's management potential, much the same as the URNU, which is essentially a university society too, may help personal development.

Just say that you had heard that a previous Coxn was a bit light footed and you were concerned that it might have been compulsary to be like minded. :wink:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
janner said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
With regard not having joined the URNU sooner, or indeed at all - there are plenty of common-sense responses, ranging from only recently developing an interest in joining the Royal Navy, possibly even influenced in part by people you may know already in the URNU.

The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

The idea of going to uni is primarily to obtain the best possible degree. Membership of clubs & societies is the choice of the individual but active involvement in clubs & societies, particularly sporting, does aid personal development and may enhance the individual's management potential, much the same as the URNU, which is essentially a university society too, may help personal development.

Just say that you had heard that a previous Coxn was a bit light footed and you were concerned that it might have been compulsary to be like minded. :wink:

How very dare you.

laurel_hardy_dance2.gif
 

airborne_artist

Lantern Swinger
URNU is not a recruiting arm, and has no recruiting targets, so AIB won't actually care either way. An ex-URNU candidate will be expected to be a little more knowledgeable I suspect, but anyone who really wants to pass AIB will have studied hard anyway.

Make sure you use the ACLO to secure acquaint visits - you will learn far more by being there than by reading about it.
 

Quickstick4

Newbie
Im just leaving Aberdeen URNU and have Passed the AIB and joining BRNC in September. In your original question if they treat URNU students differently:

No! The AIB treats you as any other person who wants to join the Navy, however that said, they will question your motivation if you have a very poor navy knowledge score. If you are in a 'proper' RNR unit, they will treat you slightly differently.
- I have been told though that as an ex-URNU member you are treated slightly differenltly post AIB. As in 3/4's of everyone at my URNU who joined BRNC kept there URNU service number, was expected to know how to look after kit, have a basic knowledge of navigation etc. One of the Old C.O.s at my URNU was a URNU student who went to BRNC and they fast tracked him through certain segments - he says this no longer happens as they found that not every URNU student actually learnt what they should have!

It may be worth getting in contact with your unit as they may be able to give advice and pointers, however I found that unless you spoke to the Co'xn or the CO, your ACLO will have just as good advice.

follow the advice Ninja_Stoker gave. It won't harm you not going to the URNU, but have a reason why you didn't join just in case, however they may never bring it up.

Good luck :)
 
Ninja_Stoker said:
The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

Liar, it's an absolute bar to service and you well know it. It's no good setting these chaps up to turn up to the AIB all confident only to get sent home when the doc sees their blemish free arms.
 
Quickstick4 said:
One of the Old C.O.s at my URNU was a URNU student who went to BRNC and they fast tracked him through certain segments - he says this no longer happens as they found that not every URNU student actually learnt what they should have!
yep, the old Phoebe Division, got sh*tcanned after my new entry term in September 2002. Ironically I did myself no favours as an ex-URNU student by turning down the opportunity to take the Phoebe exams (worried that I might become slightly less grey and more noticeable) and ended up a marked man (which might also explain my one time presence in Troubridge Section - now also no more thank god; Sgt Mac's private army)... :lol:

They do expect more from ex-URNUs at the college though, so if you come from that background you'd best be prepared to show what you learned in your three years.
 
W

white_mafia

Guest
kinross_special said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

Liar, it's an absolute bar to service and you well know it. It's no good setting these chaps up to turn up to the AIB all confident only to get sent home when the doc sees their blemish free arms.

My father had hounds chasing a fox disappearing up his ******* tattooed on his back and it never stopped him rising to Lieutenant (SD)(W) and later cashiered.
 

TryHarder

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice quickstick, kinross and ninja.

I think the URNU option has been shelved, instead i'll look to turn up to AIB with a view to showing up any URNU candidates by being more prepared (with most of that preparation stemming from the suberb advice on this forum).
 
white_mafia said:
kinross_special said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

Liar, it's an absolute bar to service and you well know it. It's no good setting these chaps up to turn up to the AIB all confident only to get sent home when the doc sees their blemish free arms.

My father had hounds chasing a fox disappearing up his ******* tattooed on his back and it never stopped him rising to Lieutenant (SD)(W) and later cashiered.

No doubt he was only promoted for so visibly showing his support for hunting :lol: must have been inspired by Adm Lord Charles Beresford:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=sutton_keith&id=3037124

(scroll down to the bottom of the page
 
kinross_special said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
The fact your parents didn't tattoo a fouled anchor on your starboard arm as a christening present when you were six months old and your Great Grandaddad wasn't Boy Cornwell's best oppo won't necessarily hinder the chances of passing AIB.

Liar, it's an absolute bar to service and you well know it. It's no good setting these chaps up to turn up to the AIB all confident only to get sent home when the doc sees their blemish free arms.

Blimey sounds like my firest few months of life. Grandad ensured I had all that for a background. He was a bit peeved when mum drew the line at tatooing a dancing girl on my belly though. After all that I still never made it in.
 

Quickstick4

Newbie
TryHarder said:
Thanks for the advice quickstick, kinross and ninja.

I think the URNU option has been shelved, instead i'll look to turn up to AIB with a view to showing up any URNU candidates by being more prepared (with most of that preparation stemming from the suberb advice on this forum).

:D Good! and dont feel the URNU candidates have the advantage! Your attitude is good in my book. Ive seen so many people from my URNU go and fail their AIB because they couldn't distil the URNU from the real navy.

Best of luck :)
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top