Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential Medical Bar to Entry?

Nezoat

Hi everyone. I'm currently considering applying to join the navy, in fact I've been thinking about it quite hard for a while. I can definitely pass the fitness requirements and with a bit more practice I reckon I could score decently in the psychometric test. My one glaring issue is that I have Hyperhidrosis - basically, my hands, armpits and feet sometimes have bouts of sweating, while at other times are completely dry.

Now I applied to the army about two years ago and got knocked back for having this condition but the letter I got stated because I was getting treatment (iontophoresis) that couldn't be continued if I was training, that I am technically medically unfit for service. Now I don't use the treatment anymore, in fact the main reason I got it was purely because the condition is a slight social pain ("Oh nice to meet you" *extends hand* "You're hands are sweaty ew"). Not because the condition inhibits my ability to do anything.

I've checked the medical requirements on the RN website and it doesn't state anything about Hyperhidrosis, whereas the army site does. So I'm hoping that I can still be able to pursue military service through this avenue. Can anyone give me advice on the matter, despite the medical list not mentioning it, will it still be a bar to entry etc?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The medical standards for entry are pretty much tri-service inasmuch as the Joint Service Publication (JSP950) will stipulate if the standard applies to one service, not another.

The rough rule of thumb is you must be fully free from any prescribed treatment and fully capable of doing your job without hindrance in any climate or environment.

The 'staff answer' is "each person is viewed on a case by case basis" but if the same conditions exist which preclude entry into the Army, then you can be fairly certain the outcome will be the same. If you can now join the Army, odds are you can join the Navy too in most cases.

Best of luck.

Nezoat

The medical standards for entry are pretty much tri-service inasmuch as the Joint Service Publication (JSP950) will stipulate if the standard applies to one service, not another.

The rough rule of thumb is you must be fully free from any prescribed treatment and fully capable of doing your job without hindrance in any climate or environment.

The 'staff answer' is "each person is viewed on a case by case basis" but if the same conditions exist which preclude entry into the Army, then you can be fairly certain the outcome will be the same. If you can now join the Army, odds are you can join the Navy too in most cases.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply Ninja. The section I've highlighted is the sticking point because the reply I got for the medical failure before seemed to indicate it was the treatment for the condition as opposed to the condition itself that was the deciding factor in deeming me unfit for service. I hope I can work past this.

Thanks for the advice.

Lommy95

Hi Nez,

I had an oppo who had joined with sweaty palms, remember very well during our technical training he'd try and spray his hands with antiperspirant during electrical practicals ha ha.
He managed to get in with the condition, and he also managed to get treatment for it while he was in so you I would say you'd be ok.

Regards,

Mitch

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hi Nez,

I had an oppo who had joined with sweaty palms, remember very well during our technical training he'd try and spray his hands with antiperspirant during electrical practicals ha ha.
He managed to get in with the condition, and he also managed to get treatment for it while he was in so you I would say you'd be ok.

Regards,

Mitch
Unless you're a Doctor in the recruiting system I'd be careful with the advice you're giving.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Medical- potential problem? Joining the Royal Navy 0
T Medical for Potential Officers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
R Potential medical problem? Health & Fitness 3
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MoD_RSS £40 million to unlock Falkirk's economic potential MoD News 0
Landshark Potential frequency of deployment (and general questions) - Survival Equipment Technician (SET) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Potential of transmission of SAR-CoV-2 from humans to animals and risks of onward transmission, 6 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary launches working groups to help unleash Britain's growth potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World's largest trial of potential coronavirus treatments rolled out across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commissioner on Pakistan's business potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary unveils plans to unleash North East potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK trade envoy to Lebanon: Great potential for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women pick jobs closer to family over bigger salary - as government promises to help them reach their financial potential MoD News 0
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
Waspie Potential AET's - your future!! Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Letter to the health and care sector: preparations for a potential no-deal Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain has a bright future if we seize the potential of innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Drive to unleash potential of North East's youngsters stepped-up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘Her Potential, Our Future’, Baroness Sugg speech at Women Deliver MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Steel Limited in liquidation: information for customers, employees, potential buyers and creditors MoD News 0
C Potential PMU Health & Fitness 2
Spiced Buoy Potential Foundation Degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Investigation launched into potential for bias in algorithmic decision-making in society MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Wales' potential to prosper as an exporting nation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Science Minister speaks of the potential young people have in addressing the opportunities of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Nine female innovators receive UK Government funding to develop inventions with global potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 9 women innovators get government backing for inventions with global potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Potential of light rail schemes hailed for future urban travel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Suppliers demonstrate their innovations to potential investors MoD News 0
J Potential Royal Marines Forum closed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Press release: College students with unrealised potential deserve better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The Potential for the First Free and Fair Elections in DRC History MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Potential phishing scam impersonating Ministry of Defence MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Potential Officer Acquaint Visits 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Starting BRNC in January- Potential role change? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Question regarding potential lung problem Health & Fitness 2
MoD_RSS News story: Potential Army Officers meet Defence Secretary MoD News 0
A Potential Officer Coaching and Mentoring - milprep.co.uk Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
Pascal Current Affairs - Potential SIFT Questions Current Affairs 3
Pascal Potential SIFT Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
dapperdunn Potential Guardsman. The Quarterdeck 0
M Potential Officer Visit Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Assessing the potential of laser weapons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy ship supports removal of potential chemical weapon materials from Libya MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Dear Potential Officers on visits to RN bases! Joining the Royal Navy 32
V Career Advice/Potential Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D PRNC for potential MC Diver Health & Fitness 3
M Potential problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Direct entry aircrewman becoming a pilot? Dream or potential reality? The Fleet Air Arm 8