Potential MCD help neede please!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by DaveyMcB, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi- I want to join up as a clearance diver and I have heard that there is a strick medical for this branch on top of the joining medical.

Can anyone tell me what this involves, and if mnay applicants get turned down at this stage? Also, I am short-sighted and sometimes wear glasses...but I have been told that my eyesight is good enough for the RN; are MCD eyesight requirements any stricter? Apparently I am only 'mildly' short-sighted.

2. At 27M down on a night dive it doesn't really matter how good your eyesight is you see jack sh*t :glasses7: but you still have to do bridge watches :slow:
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi & a warm welcome to the site.

Indeed there is a strict medical for potential Divers. (Brain scan to check there's nothing there etc,....).

The new eyesight minimum standard for RN Divers is as follows:

Standard 2 (VA2)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left 6/60 or worse.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/-6.00 sphere or cyl both.

If you cannot meet the above standards then unfortunately it's unlikely you will be able to admire yourself fully in the mirror & due to manning constraints we cannot afford a team of 20/20 visioned admirers to do it for you.

That said, best of luck- there's heaps & heaps of similar stuff in the stickies section of the Newbies forum all about Divers

4. Cheers Ninja, a 126 is winging it's way to you for a new keyboard after spitting coffee over my one laughing at your advice for divers :hello1: :hello1: :laughing1: :laughing1:
  5. Surely the RN should consider the usage of Guide Dogs for the poorly sighted but eager young thrusters out there.
    It can't be long before the differently able among us rise up to end this type of blatant discrimination.
    Easily put down though, just wait until their Inhalers/Anti-Histamines/Meds run out and then jump 'em on their way to the chemists.
  6. We're trialing it, but we seem to be having problems getting them to put the breathing App's on and there not to keen on sitting on the bottom of Horsea lake!!

7. Ninja_Stoker

I thought he was joking too! [​IMG]

8. What a pic, would not want to be in that pool when the dog takes a dump though.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Which reminds me, in the days before sewerage treatment plants, whenever the warning pipe was made: "Do you hear there, Ships' Company are remindeed that diving is taking place on the ships' hull. Diving restrictions are now in place" There always seemed to be a gleeful stampede to use the heads.
  10. [​IMG]

I don't think that's a real 'bubblehead'; it's more likely to be a 'springer' doing the doggy-paddle.
  11. But you'd always wait for the 2nd pipe because you knew the divers were definately in the water!!
    Especially popular when the Jimmy of the Active was getting his minutes in
  12. Hey mate

I went for MCD took me 12 months down the line to get to me medical. Unfortunatly i am short sighted too, i was pronouced VA3 on my medical, and you need VA2 for Diver. Therefore thats only as far as i got with my MCD application.

So i went for my second option AET, which is gonig very well.

But good luck mate!! You do have the option i think for laser eye surgery, and if you are VA3, you just need to pick yourself up off the ground and look at some of the other trades. Engineering is a good trade.

I wish you the best of luck.

13. hi everyone

I broke my nose 18 months ago and it never set properly now i can only breath through one nosteral as the other one is always blocked.

Will this affect ANYTHING during my medical ???

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes. The ability to breathe through both nostrils at the same time.

Don't mention it... :thumright:
  15. Yes. You will be unable to perform the 'snort' test. This is carried out to prove that you could be trained, by intesive muscle control training in front of mirrors to clear your nostrils of snot at depth whilst wearing a fully enclosed diving helmet.
    The 'snort' test is carried out by inserting a didgit in each nostril, in turn, and blowing to prove that the airway is open.
    You could get ahead of the game by practising this technique in yout own time before your medical and thus give a really good performance.
    You may have to undergo Rhinoplasty (Surgery to open up your damged nostril), why not ask a Doctor if this is required?
  16. You may have to undergo Rhinoplasty (Surgery to open up your damged nostril), why not ask a Doctor if this is required?[/quote]

Cheers mate i'll pop down the doc's this afternoon and see what he has got to say