Potential Divers Assessment requirements

I've got breast stroke down now, I reckon I could do 3km non stop just I'd be there way past closing time. Also trying to fit in some lengths on my back kicking with just legs , as well as treading water for 5 minutes.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't want to crayon in a joining thread but I feel obliged to point out the absurdity of a wannabe diver being worried about swimming.

Did it not occur to the OP that swimming might be an integral part of being a diver?

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't want to crayon in a joining thread but I feel obliged to point out the absurdity of a wannabe diver being worried about swimming.

Did it not occur to the OP that swimming might be an integral part of being a diver?

Do all the crayoning? you want , the question was more geared towards how is the swim done as there is no point being able to swim thousands of metres breaststroke then on the day being told to swim on your back kicking. I wanted to know how it was done , and so I was told by ns and others & since have adjusted swimming training as a result.

If I hadn't of asked how it was done , I'd of spent the next few months training breaststroke and as a result would of got into the lake and only made it a few hundred metres on my back.

EDIT; I posted that question after a bad swimming session where I panicked and lost my breathing and form, worries got the better of me

Last edited:

wallace100

Midshipman
I'm going to buy some fins, ideally wouldn't want to spend an excessive amount but also want some that will replicate the ones used by navy divers! Anyone got an info????

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'm going to buy some fins, ideally wouldn't want to spend an excessive amount but also want some that will replicate the ones used by navy divers! Anyone got an info????

The ones Pusser use are called Jetfins and the techie scuba divers use them too as they are black! They are hideously expensive. Just get a normal set of fins (if you feel you must) from Decathlon, at least you'l be using the ame muscles.

wallace100

Midshipman
The ones Pusser use are called Jetfins and the techie scuba divers use them too as they are black! They are hideously expensive. Just get a normal set of fins (if you feel you must) from Decathlon, at least you'l be using the ame muscles.

Cheers!! do you know what time i should be aiming for the 1km fin??

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Wally, I commend your enthusiasm! I'd just be thinking about practising if I were you. Top tip - don't stand out for being first. Don't stand out for being last. In fact, don't stand out! In any group activity during training, eg a long swim, one gets Brownie points for encouraging (the weaker members) from within the group - just saying.......

If you live by the sea, by all means get in and give it some!

Latest Threads