Potential Divers Assessment requirements

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by aidanjeeez, Jul 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my PDA coming up in either October(if someone drops out) , and if not then then definitely in March.
    I know there are several aspects to this course but one is making me doubt if I can physically do it , that being the swimming - more specifically the fact you need to swim 1km as part of the course.
    Before the abuse comes in , I can swim and would class myself as a medium swimmer & like being in the water - but 1km is a f***ing long way by any standards.
    I know it is done with flippers- which is the only positive.
    The question is - how is the swim done? Is it simply jump in at one end of the lake , and swim to the other? Stroke? Time requirements?
    Any info would be helpful, cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Apart from the usual...search and read the vast amount of posts on the subject, if you think swimming 1km is a f**ing long way...don't waste your time thinking about a career as a diver.

My kids can swim 1km, it's 40 lengths of our local swimming pool...not hard by any standard !!

Go Chef mate...always need chefs !!
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In a dry suit, facing backwards, in a sitting position, wearing flippers* on a retired torpedo test lake.

Odds are,you've already seen it, but if not, this may help: Mine Clearance Diver - July 2013 digital edition

*Mirror-checkers may not like the word flippers.
  4. Thanks for the speedy response,
    Really facing backwards? Gives me a little more confidence as I find that easier.
    & I've seen that info book - cheeky how they put the 1000m swim in smaller font on a separate page from the other fitness stuff
  5. 'If your goals don't scare you , they aren't big enough' - just means I've got some serious pool time to clock in
  6. Its 1km mate...thats not a goal it's a training warm up swim..honest !!!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Just don't forget your comb, there are mirrors at both ends of the lake
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Got 1km done this past Tuesday, 2km next time , then 3 etc. Cheers for the advice- I try to not touch the walls when turning - instead treading water whilst I turn around.
  9. Oh and isn't it fun :) I wonder if they still make them drag the telegraph pole along for fun.
    I have to admit that sorely challenged me.
    I think that was the final straw for me.
    Just proved that I was never cut out to be a diver despite what my DO stated.
  10. Cheers for the info , are there any sorts of time requirements for the swimming as well?
  11. I also really need to work on my swimming, I started doing a few km, alternating between breast stroke and going on my back and only using my legs to kick (preparation for the lockgate swim). Going to get a pair of fins and start doing it in the sea soon!! Any tips anyone could throw out? what sort of pace should i be aiming for?
  12. Slow and steady pace. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  13. Its not hard just ensure you have warmed up your hamstrings
  14. You WILL get cramp in your legs.
  15. I've got breast stroke down now, I reckon I could do 3km non stop just I'd be there way past closing time. Also trying to fit in some lengths on my back kicking with just legs , as well as treading water for 5 minutes.
  16. And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't want to crayon in a joining thread but I feel obliged to point out the absurdity of a wannabe diver being worried about swimming.

Did it not occur to the OP that swimming might be an integral part of being a diver?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Do all the crayoning? you want , the question was more geared towards how is the swim done as there is no point being able to swim thousands of metres breaststroke then on the day being told to swim on your back kicking. I wanted to know how it was done , and so I was told by ns and others & since have adjusted swimming training as a result.

If I hadn't of asked how it was done , I'd of spent the next few months training breaststroke and as a result would of got into the lake and only made it a few hundred metres on my back.

EDIT; I posted that question after a bad swimming session where I panicked and lost my breathing and form, worries got the better of me
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  18. Most probably best not to panic when swimming/diving. It tends not to turn out so well
  19. I'm going to buy some fins, ideally wouldn't want to spend an excessive amount but also want some that will replicate the ones used by navy divers! Anyone got an info????