Pot Luck - Military

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Nov 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Given the time of year this competition is for books with a military theme - almost exclusively army but that may change. At the moment I have 7 books available but there may be more when I close the competition.

The competition will run until Sunday 17th November. As ever, all that is required is that the entry form is completed and the three very simple (but perhaps arguable) questions be answered correctly.

I wont put up covers as that will take up too much room, but the books I have for prizes at present are:

• Tougher Than Bullets by Harold Davis (signed by the author)
    • The Tank War by Mark Urban (Signed by the author)
    • Defence and Fall of Greece 1940-41 by John Carr
    • Major & Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to Op Market Garden
    • Hitler's Atlantic Wall - Normandy by Paul Williams
    • Images of War Special : Tiger1 & Tiger II by |Anthony Tucker-Jones
    • Haynes Operation Manual for D-Day.

As I say, more may come available as the competition progresses. Some of these have been reviewed and some are in the process of being reviewed, all are good books, so have a go.

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Done..........

3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Guessed...

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

4. Are the dates correct on Q.1? There is the obvious one, but under the principles of RTFQ neither of the other two fit with the next obvious answer.

There may be some subtle distinction (or pedantry) that I am missing though.

5. Had a go, first one is a bit contentious :)

6. Further to my last - yes they are.

7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Done, but I agree that the first question could be open to debate.

8. exJenny

Wrecks copied me!!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

9. Ageing_Gracefully

This looks like being a good competition; the answers are alles uber der platz. I was very careful with the question and the answer I am looking for. All the dates are valid for one reason or other but the actual answers are from wiki.

Such fun!

10. Entered In !

11. Ageing_Gracefully

Right you lot! You are going to have to buck up.

Qs 2 & 3 are ticking over nicely with 75% and 95% respectively answered correctly.

Q1 is causing lots of pain and anguish - or will do when you see the answer. Currently only 35% have answered this question correctly. A bit of RTFQ, a bit of thought and research and you will come up with the answer.

I have not made these deliberately difficult as my aim is to clear out the extra books from my bookshelf, leaving room for more as they come in! The answer is out there google/wiki are your friends. XD

12. Done ..........

13. Ageing_Gracefully

Winners & answers – military pot luck

WINNERS & ANSWERS – MILITARY POT LUCK

Competition closed now and the winners are:
    SHINY_ARRSE – Tougher than bullets
    SQUEEKING SAPPER – The Tank War
    ANCIENT _LBV – Defence & Fall of Greece 1941-42
    TUTANKHAMUN – Maj & Mrs Holt’s guide to Op Market Garden
    BLOWFISH - Hitler’s Atlantic Wall
    CABLE-TIES - Images of War – Tiger 1&2
    HHH - Haynes Operational Manual for D-Day

Well done these guys and as ever an email will be on its way to you soon.

Thanks to all who took part. This was a very popular competition and one of the questions has been (to some) a touch controversial over the wording. I’m afraid you will just have to learn to live with it, but the answers should have pointed you in the right direction! Anyway the answers are:

Q1 – When did a “state of war” cease to exist between the Central Powers and the Allied Powers. I do apologise for using Central Powers in that way as the final agreements with likes of the Ottoman Empire were put back until after Germany had been dealt with, and that is how I read it. Plus it helped to differentiate between WW1 & WW2. 11/11/1918 was the date of the Armistice, the state of war continued to exist, just people had stopped firing at each other (for the time being). 30/1/1933 is the day on which Hitler became Chancellor of Germany; leaving the middle date of 10/1/1920 as the date I was looking for – the sate that the Treaty of Verseille was ratified, not signed, but came into being. Answer to Q1 therefore is = 10/01/1920.

Q2 – Another question which took some people off on the wrong track – or at least the single line track my mind is on! 8 May 45 is again just the date that agreements to stop fighting were signed off and agreed – VE Day as we know it; 8 Sep 51 is the date that Britain and some other Allies ended the state of war with Germany, but that was not the question! The final settlement with Germany did not take place until reunification so the answer is 12 Sep 1990. Sneaky but hey ho, that’s just me!

Q3 – The person behind the Commonwealth (or Imperial) War Graves Commission was Sir Fabien Ware. He pushed for and set up the Commission to oversee the decent burial and marking of graves of soldiers killed whilst on service. Quite a guy – have a look at his entry on the Veterans’ site: Remembrance - Major General Sir Fabian Ware

14. Got all 3 right so good enough for me.

15. exJenny

Oh well, at least we were right Wrecks :(

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I've forgotten what I answered... lol

17. Ageing_Gracefully

You sure? 8O

18. Ageing_Gracefully

OK, good response from the winners and the books will be in the post today. A couple with the 'driest' subjects have got a wee 'extra' - hope you enjoy.

Of course, there is always one who trails behind, and I know you have been dead for about 3000 years, but could Tutankhamun get in touch so I can send out your book. Ta. Ususal rules, no response in 2 weeks and book goes to next winner on the list.

• Like Like x 1