Postwar German Warships

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Was much surprised to see that former RN ships Flamingo Hart Mermaid and Oakley were renamed--Graf Spee Scheer Scharnorst and Hipper when purchased my the Bundesmarine.
Rather indelicate of them I thought.

More indelicate if they'd named them Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler and Goering.

Nothing wrong with naming them after their Naval heroes.

Anniversary of Battle of Medway recently. Dutch always name their ships after the hero's of that one.

We lost.......

Edited to say Medway ........ predictive text again!

Last edited:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
View attachment 24991
I thought that was the yanks and the Japs! ;):D
Karel Doorman, in full Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman (born April 23, 1889, Utrecht, Netherlands—died February 27, 1942, Java Sea), Dutch rear admiral who commanded a combined American, British, Dutch, and Australian naval force against a Japanese invasion fleet in the Java Sea during World War II. Intended to halt the Japanese naval invasion of the Netherlands East Indies, the Battle of the Java Sea ended in disaster for the Allied fleet, and Doorman himself perished. The Dutch named their Aircraft Carrier Karel Doorman previously HMS Venerable

Karel Doorman, in full Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman (born April 23, 1889, Utrecht, Netherlands—died February 27, 1942, Java Sea), Dutch rear admiral who commanded a combined American, British, Dutch, and Australian naval force against a Japanese invasion fleet in the Java Sea during World War II. Intended to halt the Japanese naval invasion of the Netherlands East Indies, the Battle of the Java Sea ended in disaster for the Allied fleet, and Doorman himself perished. The Dutch named their Aircraft Carrier Karel Doorman previously HMS Venerable
Still the wrong battle tho.