Posthumous VC and George Cross

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by noemis, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched the BBC's news at 10.

Tony has been a bad boy and got away with it, BAe have been bad boys and got away with it, some git is killing prostitutes in Ipswich and getting away with it, but nothing about the award of a VC and a George Cross.

These medals are a big deal!! in total 134 medals have been awarded today for valour etc including a Bootneck pilot flying with crabair!!

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...geCrossAwardedForParaHeroismInAfghanistan.htm

As you can see from the link, it was published in plenty of time for the evening news, but the BBC prefer to bleat on about how innocent Blair is and that he is a witness not a suspect. Is it the BBC or is the nation truly not interested in what the armed forces do in their name!!

2. Noemis.....the postumous VC was covered at length on the 1800 BBC news.

3. Reading his award it is surprising Lt Illingworth didnt get a VC............

4. Missed by many is the first female MC for saving the life of a fellow soldier, including getting him out of a warrior turret I understand. She can be on my watch anywhere

5. Sorry, still at work like thousands of others. I find it amazing that a 9 year old story was considered more news worthy than this!

6. Was wondering on that story where is the link.

Nice to see the Ladies are not being forgotten.

7. Have just sent an e-mail to the bbc news website asking why it hasnt been reported on there yet..

8. Agree 100% noemis

9. I only wish the MOD would publish the citations, there have been some outstanding acts of bravery from all arms of the forces and, no doubt, some that haven't been recognised.

My heart goes out to all those who have paid the ultimate price and their families. We shouldn't forget those who have been terribly injured. And for those who have earned the rewards.... BZ!! Your efforts haven't gone un-noticed or unappreciated by me. I've made sure I've told everyone I know, stuff the BBC!!

10. The BBC are a waste of space, why do you think I never buy a TV licence :D

stab

11. And mine "Maxi_77" , so impressed with her and also all the others out there , restores my faith in that generation somewhat , nothing but contempt for Bliars and co , ********* , :twisted:

BZ to the forces out in theatre though , my thoughts are with you all ,

12. It’s a great shame that two of the decorations have been awarded posthumously, valiant lads and Lass indeed.

13. Doesnt The London Gazette publish awards and citations?They used to.

14. Lots of bravery and complete disregard for own safety happening out there.
    Well done at least they are getting recognition .

Reading the citations I feel sorry for the injured personnel too.

15. I know this guy is a para - but read this - made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

George Cross: Corporal Mark Wright

It was the scenario that every soldier dreads – stuck in an unmarked minefield with a man injured and not knowing if the next step would lead to instant death.

Cpl Mark Wright found himself in just such a scenario when his section strayed into an old, unmarked Soviet minefield.

For the next hour he showed the "greatest gallantry" and outstanding courage in rescuing his troops which earned him the George Cross, the highest award for bravery when not in the face of the enemy.

On Sept 6 a sniper patrol on a mission to engage Taliban fighters near the Kajaki Dam in northern Helmand was heading down a steep slope when the lead soldier stepped on a mine and sustained severe injuries.

"Seeing the mine-strike from the top of the ridge, Cpl Mark Wright gathered a number of men and rushed down the slope to assist," his citation read.

"Realising that conducting a full mine clearance would take too long, he decided to act immediately as he knew the casualty was likely to die before the mine clearance was completed."

Without thought for his own safety, and fully aware of the risks, Cpl Wright led his men into the minefield. As medical orderlies tended to the wounded man he ordered all unnecessary personnel to safety and began organising a helicopter casualty evacuation.

But a soldier who was clearing a landing site stepped on a mine and Cpl Wright immediately gave him life-saving assistance.

"Calmly, Cpl Wright ordered all non-essential personnel to stay out of the minefield and continued to move around and control the incident," the citation said.

"Shortly afterwards a helicopter landed nearby, but as Cpl Wright stood up to get to the helicopter he initiated a third mine sustaining serious injuries to himself and one of the orderlies." The remaining orderly began treating Cpl Wright, but was himself wounded by another mine blast. There were now seven casualties still in the minefield, three of whom had lost limbs.

"Despite this horrific situation and the serious injuries to himself and others, Cpl Wright continued to command and control the incident. He remained conscious for the majority of the time, continually shouting encouragement to those around him. This maintained morale and calm amongst the many wounded men."

Cpl Wright died on the rescue helicopter.

16. Puts everything else into perspective realy , nothing but admiration for our lads and lasses , god bless them all , heroes all of them ,

17. Cpl Wright was one hell of a soldier. I think we could all use more like him.
    RIP

18. It would seem you have!!

Queen's Commendation for Bravery in the Air (QCBA)

Senior Airman Jason BROLINE United States Air Force
    Staff Sergeant Cameron HYSTAD United States Air Force

The Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

Major William David CHESAREK United States Marine Corps

Full list is at:-

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ationalHonoursAndAwardsList15December2006.htm