Post Service Employment: how easy is it?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seacat, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes

2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
  3. No

0 vote(s)
  4. No idea

0 vote(s)
  1. In yesterday's Defence Debate in the House of Commons (Commons Hansard: 22 June 2006, Col.1567) Mr.Watson made the following claim:

Our service personnel are extremely employable. I was amazed to read that 95 per cent. of them find jobs within six months of leaving the services. Our challenge is to make sure the remaining 5 per cent. have as much support as possible.

How true is this for the RN?
  2. Probably because they are scared of losing the comfort blanket of a salary for so many years they go balls out to get a job, also with so much notice time to be served and the re settlement help provided there really would be a problem if they couldn't get one within 6 months
  3. I know when I left in 1986 it took me 4 months to get a job but I was being selective as I wanted to stay in the area and wanted a job in aviation
  4. Mr Watson may be talking through his backside, but then that's what this administration does very well.

I left in 79, and was hunting employment for 16 months (okay I did moonlight to keep cash coming in), but I either was 'too old' (at 32!!), 'not the experience we were looking for' (too many/not enough quals - as I did study whilst I was serving), or never even received a reply, despite enclosing an sae (as advised by the Resettlement Officer, a retired three ringer - who also said I needed to take a training course for Storeman !!).

A chum of mine, was offered a post with a well known company, at less than the advertised salary "because you are receiving a service pension" - you can guess his reaction with no difficulty.

I'm cynical enough to think that the % would be 50/50 (and that's over guessing) - that you get employed or you don't.
    You can act confident, and you could be seen as a threat, you study to get quals, and you could be considered over-qualified, act relaxed and you could be considered 'not enthusiastic enough', or not the right material.
    I even applied for a post on P&O for Materials Manager andd was told that I did not have enough experience - probably meant I was not a member of the Seaman's Union more likely :lol:

This (mal)administration in power, with all its manipulating of the figures, forcing retirement age up, is probably going to make it less easier for both young and older ex-service personnel, despite how good you can or could be at the job, to get employment.

I'm not saying it's what will happen, but then I did get a job overseas, taxfree salary, accom, flights, food etc which I would not have done if I'd stayed in UK and obtained some job that I would have been 'suitably qualified' in their eyes.

Good hunting, and I wish you well, to all due to retire soon :)

As they say T G I F :!:
  5. Left in May 95 , and spent a couple of months just loafing around realy , then got a job driving a little van around for the Royal Marines for a few years before getting my present job at Derriford Hospital where I will hopefully stay untill I retire in 14 years time all being well , :twisted: :roll:
    as to the question of 95% within 6 months , would'nt have thought it would be as high as that .
  6. I like many, found that when I was coming up to the end of my time, I didn't really know what I wanted to do (my backround is comms) and what kind of job I could be employed in. After attending my first resettlement course (Careers Transition Workshop), I still didn't really know what to do or what I could do, although I did leave with a decent CV. It was only by chance that a mate of mine recommended work attachment for my resettlement time. I duly approached a mobile telecoms company and was put in touch with the right person, I spent the whole of my resettlement time gaining vast amounts of knowledge in that industry, unfortunately at the end of that time I was advised that there were no positions available for me to take up once I had left the RN. I was pragmatic enough to know that it could take a while for me to find a job, however, during my terminal leave, I was approached by the company who I had done my work attachment with and they offered me a job which I took up (they even paid me more than my orignal asking price). I walked into a job 2 days after my official TX date so I consider myself lucky. The adage that Ex-serviceman are good to employ still stands, most employers respect the fact that you are loyal, independant (free thinking), hardworking etc and sometimes that can stand you in good stead. 95% is probably a government think-tanks figure, but if you are determined enough as I was, there is no reason not to be employed.
  7. I left in 87, and found getting a job easy in fact I had 10 different ones in the 18 months after discharge! but job satifaction was the thing that let me down. I often wondered & voiced my opinion that how could someone stay in the same dead factory job for life.
    Sadly the job I enjoyed & lasted the the longest was my last as I had an accident at work & due to an injury from my time in the mob contributed to me becoming disabled.
  8. I was fortunate ------------I had a very good trade background and was actually working full time during my terminal leave-- the tax man had a great time.

However a lot of people in the services are virtually non allied to any civilian job. The people I have met while I was working doing very menial jobs who in the services would have been regarded as very experienced trained people.

My advice to anyone before leaving the services is to get a HGV driving licence-----------at the moment with the changes to driving goods vehicle laws mean that at present there is requirement for drivers-- and people who are in work can normally find work easier. It seems to be a stigma that if you are unemployed for whatever reason it is sometimes taken as unemployable to prospective employers!
  9. Have to agree with you on all that Greenie , I got my HGV in 95 just before leaving the andrew but then found that every job I went for wanted 3 years experience , but I do take your point about a lot of peaple in the services being non allied to civilian jobs , anyway I completely changed track and now very happy doing what I do , so I never made it to the King of the road with an 18 wheeler , :twisted: :roll: 8O
  10. it all depends on what your expectation is!
    Anyone who cant get a job in six months no matter how shit, is either a lazy c*** or does nt need to?