Post Office strike. Time to get rid?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by frogman007, May 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Crown Post Office staff go on strike

Not sure how your local branch runs, but pretty much ALL in Portsmouth are stuck in the Heartbeat series. Normally you get some old granny seeing her days out annoying those with lives to lead. The look of horror and shock when asking to send an item recorded/ Special etc beggars belief.

As for collecting parcels. I know when I have my eventual stroke I can happily be employed in the parcel collections dept. I'll happily drag my knuckles for 8 hours a day, whilst looking confused.

The debate on the radio today raised the privatisation concept again. The stats read. Keep the same prices will rise with inflation. Go private you're looking at a 60% raise in costs but a 90% raise in efficiency.

Your views with out mentioning Thatcher please.

2. OMM

OMM War Hero

Literally just back from sending some parcels and the old woman who served me made me sound like I was causing her major grievance when I asked for recorded.

Maybe with the selling of Royal Mail it will have some overflow onto the post offices.

3. Fully agree with line one. Confused on line two. Aren't they the same company? I might be wrong as I have being drunk all weekend.

4. OMM

OMM War Hero

Used to be the same, then Post office was privatised and they were 'divorced'.

5. OMM

OMM War Hero

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd support the shops getting a kick ***********, however, I would miss the postie himself. I've had lots of deliveries from private couriers where they have knocked and fled my dooor in seconds, put parcels in garden waste bins, resulting in damage to the parcels and I'm convinced that they've posted a "We missed you note" when I was in and they just didn't bother knocking. The shops represent a place for OAP's to go and drain down to me, no wonder the cashiers lose the will to live.

7. Looks like it might be a good punt, all the other privatizations have proved to be a good middle term bet, with the banking interest rates looking like crap for the next few years it should be worth investing a few grand & taking a chance.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well, if she had her way, Thatcher...oh bugger.

It's difficult, isn't it?

9. My Post Office is good, helpful (youngish, well, my age) staff. Just don't go near it on pension day as all the lonely old ladies hang around the door nattering or telling their life stories to the staff.

10. Of course it's time to get rid, after all we do have a Tory controlled government and my postie tells me Royal Mail (the last jewel in the crown) is next on the hit list. Just wait until some cowboys such as TNT start attempting to deliver your mail, apparently it is already happening in parts of London and it's a fekin shambles. It was just this morning that I mentioned to Mrs F it's time to cancel all our paper statements as I don't want any of my personal information falling into the wrong hands or getting shoved down the nearest scupper.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The way that it has just increased postal charges for what used to be a package it will fail on its own without any help. Over a fiver to post a very small package, no way. The couriers are far cheaper and give you tracking for no extra

12. Must admit I have never had a problem with Royal Mail ... unlike a certain courier service who's name is very similar to that of a greek god who not only managed to open and pilfer a parcel destined for me but also managed to change the contents! As for them tracking parcels ... thats alright until they physically change the time line of where your parcel is once they found out it was being chased to make it look like all was well ... when in fact my parcel was in one of their depots in a bucket of water and they were trying to cover the fact up!

Royal Mail on the other hand have managed to deliver some heavy parts for the MG (when I actually had one running) on time and without any fuss or damage. They've got my vote!

13. Do people still collect their pension from the P.O...in notes ? My pension is paid directly into my bank.

14. OMM

OMM War Hero

Yep, there's a post office where I work and the queues are horrendous.

15. POL aka post post office counters is nothing to do with Royal Mail. But under the separation of the two business has an IBA aka internal business agreement. Royal Mail decided the price of letters and parcels. With an universal delivery service!!!! POL provide the service . Royal Mail will be privatised this year...and you can forget the UDS in the future as TNT or the likes wil not be delivering to Jock or Taff for the price of a first class stamp. 60 p As for POL you now have 8 counters in a crown office, with queues out of the door , and will be replaced with 2 or 3 counters in Wilkos, or WH Smiths or Tescos, when franchised out.....get the picture. ?????:neutral:

16. Just to clear up the OAP pensions confusion.No-one has a pension book nowadays but for some old habits die hard so they trudge off to the PO every tuesday to draw their money from the PO bank account as though nothing has changed.I am sure for some it is just to get the human contact when they live alone hence the yakking to the teller while the queue disapppears out the door and down the street.
    Todays strike was at the Crown post Offices the last few still owned by the taxpayer.I only go in one and it is very well organised but still has horrendous queues at times but it does provide comfy seats to sit on until your number is called.

17. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Is it just York ?, helpfull staff, good service AND polite.

18. Nope, see my earlier post (# 11). I have no complaints with my PO.