Post Navy Career

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by edchannah, Mar 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently in the process of applying to be a Navy pilot and I was wondering what kind of career prospects will be available if I choose to leave after completing 12 years. Do ex-armed forces personnel struggle to find work? I have a history degree under by belt so I am not void of qualifications.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you're looking to leave the Service before you've even joined up perhaps you should question whether you're suitable for it in the first place? :?
  3. A good example of how some people who join today ARE NOT like those who joined say twenty+ years ago! Fair enough, a great many lads said "I'll join up and I'll learn a trade" but the kind of question asked above seems to me to be of a qualitatively different kind.
  4. My mums cousin was a helo pilot in the Army for about 12 years (if memory serves) and is now a certain Chelski owners pilot when he is in the UK.
    Lots become airline pilots of some description, however, there is a golden handshake as far as i'm aware, locking you into the job for a number of years. There isn't too much to be done to gain a civilian pilot licence after leaving.
  5. Why not join the RAF as aircrew and have a full career as Spec Aircrew; lots of dosh, no responsibilities.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nail, head, firmly hit. :thumright:
  7. jeeze if i had a pound for everytime you asked someone that darn question?

"perhaps you should question whether you're suitable for it in the first place?"
  8. Here we go, you're like a potential officer version of Credders!
  9. lol whos credders then? :)
  10. More to the point, where is he? Didn't he go off to Caledonia for his RN "intro-thingy" (I'm aware that's not a technical term!) and just get lost on the way home?

Is Creddly on the rail network near you? Did he implode worrying in the ages old debate of holdall vs suitcase?
  11. lol he sounds interseting?!

i live in helston beside RNAS Culdrose