Post Defence Cut Problems

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by babygravy, Jun 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nah we're nowhere near the same position. The Army didn't listen to the RN or even the RAF and those responsible for the mess need to start using the Mess Webley.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Tbh, I can't see the TA or RNR being as attractive as it used to be as a weekend jolly with no real responsibilities."

Quite right - those 6 months I spent in Afghanistan charging round the country and having to make some fairly grown up 'life or death' decisions a few years ago were a real jolly...

Reserves haven't been a weekend jolly since end of the Cold War, which arguably was one long jolly for much of the armed forces in general.
  3. Umm . . . P_T, that was babygravy's point. Precisely because there is a high probability of active service, it will be a deterrent for all those who like the idea of the uniform but baulk at the possibility of action.
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Dredd - my point was more that those who join now, and have done for nearly 20 years have done so precisely because the opportunity on offer to deploy is appealing and an incentive.
  5. Ah, I understand now, thanks for clarifying.

It is probably pointless to compare figures for reserve forces 30 years ago, with ones 10 years ago (as Iraq and Afghanistan were well under way) and now, as the standing force outline is now quite different as well which acts as a huge statistical variable, but if there had been a gradual decline in applications once the active deployments became more widely known, that should have been a firm indicator to HMG that there wasn't necessarily an untapped pool of people who were wanting to go reserve instead of full service but did not do so because of the number of full-timers on the books. The suspicion was always that they had some naive notion that those released would want to promptly sign back up as reservists. Well, that worked well, didn't it?

Can't say they weren't warned.
  6. I think that people are not put off by the risk of deploying. People seem to be put off more by poor organisational skills when they are in or the long drawn out process to get in.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nah. SDSR? Mission Accomplished. Yes, Sir-eee.

I tend to agree.

When you consider it, there are now four different organisations carrying out the five stages of selection. Three of them are civilian private contractors, profit driven, costing far, far more than their predecessors. You just know the service will sooner or later decide to try to do it even cheaper, whilst incurring significantly higher costs with greater inefficiency. Look no further than Army recruiting for success stories.