Julesrobo

Midshipman
Hi

Posting on behalf of my daughter, a question I would like to know!

She has been put forward for AIB, probably a long wait ahead.

I’m sure she will do well, but if she doesn’t pass what are the options? She is applying for HM, and wants to be in that branch, so if she failed AIB, could she then go in as a rating or would she have to start the process all over again and join the back of the queue? I know there is also a long wait for rating entry for that branch.

Could she have 2 applications running alongside each other, Officer and Rating?

I look forward to hearing from someone who can help answer these questions.

Thank you

Waspie

War Hero
Have a look using the search function on here. HM orificers have been discussed recently.
As for options. Discuss with trained recruiters!!

Julesrobo

Midshipman
Thank you, hmmmm well recruiters haven’t been very forthcoming with answers really.. thought I would ‘put it out there’ to see if anyone else could help .

Waspie

War Hero
Thank you, hmmmm well recruiters haven’t been very forthcoming with answers really.. thought I would ‘put it out there’ to see if anyone else could help .
This is an unofficial RN forum so always best get ‘official’ information.
Oh, we do have opinions and possible answers!!! But will it be ; true, useful or just what you wish to hear!!!!
Always take advice from your recruiter, push them if you have to, they get paid to advice and get answers.

Tex

Lantern Swinger
Hi

I’m sure she will do well, but if she doesn’t pass what are the options? She is applying for HM, and wants to be in that branch, so if she failed AIB, could she then go in as a rating or would she have to start the process all over again and join the back of the queue? I know there is also a long wait for rating entry for that branch.

Thank you
It would surely have greater impact if your daughter represented herself.

Wookie42

Midshipman
A number of years ago when I worked at Captain Naval Recruiting, we changed the process such that the candidate didn't choose officer or rating on day 1 at the AFCO but some way down the process after the Navy had had a chance to look at the potential recruit and determined to what they were best suited. The idea of that was that in exactly this sort of situation, we didn't lose someone because they failed AIB but still wanted to join the RN and were happy to join the lower deck. It worked really well. If your daughter is headed for AIB, then she should already have had the Sift interview with the Area Careers Liaison Officer. Under the process that I introduced, that was the first time that officer selection was looked at.

However, since then, the Navy have joined in with the Recruiting Partnering Project (RPP) in which much of the front end recruiting is done by a 3rd party, so how much of the "Convergence" programme as it was known remains, I'm afraid I don't know. I suspect none, because it was a complete anathema to the Army who drove RPP because something like 70-80% of their officer entry came from people for whom daddy had already held a commission in the regiment of choice and having the Colonel's son join as a squaddie no matter how good a soldier he might have been was simply unthinkable to them.

Problem is, as I understand it now, it is near impossible to speak to a uniformed Navy recruiter as it is all done through a call centre run by civilians.

Hi

Thank you
As in she has a date for AIB or she has passed the last stage before it ?