Post 16 and the best pathway

Hello,
I've done some searching and I cant find anything, but there may be a post about this.
I'm 15 and in year 11 of secondary school, in the next month or so I have to start applying for 6th form's and College's. I have a passion for engineering and want to pursue a career in the Royal Navy.
However I do not want to go into the royal navy at 16 as a rating and would rather go in with the accelrated apprenticeship scheme. For this there are 2 options, I go to Sixth form and study Maths and Physics( not so keen on maths) or I go to college and study a level 3 course.
Which of the these options are preferred by the navy and which would you recommend if any.
Thankyou

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
There are lots of threads on the AA scheme. Use the search box and have a look. There is quite a strict criteria and the benchmark is high for selection, due to limited places. Also the qualifications are around on here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subzero

It's good that you're weighing up options and considering your future. I can't really advise on further civilian education but I'll throw in my two cents on the RN and engineering, specific to yourself and the AA scheme.

If you join, without the accelerated apprenticeship, you'll still gain all the academics required to do the job in the career you wish to pursue. Not only academics, you'll also gain years of valuable experience working with like-minded people, in a variety of environments, developing those critical teamwork and leadership skills along the way.

But really, at 16 years old you have plenty of time, and plenty of options. A lot of people don't find their passion until later in life. Whatever you choose, apply yourself 100% with the right attitude and you could have a great career ahead of you.

Also, it's worth saying that with internal fast-track schemes and the RN's eagerness to keep people moving forward career-wise, it's likely you'll get to where you want fast, AA scheme or not

Sub

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
It's good that you're weighing up options and considering your future. I can't really advise on further civilian education but I'll throw in my two cents on the RN and engineering, specific to yourself and the AA scheme.

If you join, without the accelerated apprenticeship, you'll still gain all the academics required to do the job in the career you wish to pursue. Not only academics, you'll also gain years of valuable experience working with like-minded people, in a variety of environments, developing those critical teamwork and leadership skills along the way.

But really, at 16 years old you have plenty of time, and plenty of options. A lot of people don't find their passion until later in life. Whatever you choose, apply yourself 100% with the right attitude and you could have a great career ahead of you.

Also, it's worth saying that with internal fast-track schemes and the RN's eagerness to keep people moving forward career-wise, it's likely you'll get to where you want fast, AA scheme or not

Sub

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Totally agree with the above comments. I have three fast-track WE SM in one of my classes. That said, progression as a GS engineer is pretty fast. Some of those getting to LHPQC within 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taztiff

War Hero
For this there are 2 options, I go to Sixth form and study Maths and Physics( not so keen on maths)
Unfortunately (for you maybe), Engineering is heavy on Maths. It is a major part of any Engineering course (RN or otherwise).

I have a passion for engineering and want to pursue a career in the Royal Navy.
In that case you will need to learn to love Maths! Ok, maybe not love, but at least be very comfortable with it.

Good luck with your future - there are many, many engineers on this forum and all of them will tell you the merits of completing a full RN engineering course.