Possible to be URNU TO and in RNR?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by LaurenH, Oct 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know URNU training officers are list 7 RNR, but I was wondering if it was possible to do that job if you were already in the RNR, on a higher list?

Basically, I'm an officer cadet in the RNR (ex-URNU), and I'd really like to be an URNU TO. I don't think it is possible, but if I could I would definitely be committed enough to do both, and it wouldn't take away from my RNR training.

It ought to benefit both the RNR and URNU to have that link. To me it makes more sense than employing a TO who is not otherwise RNR. However, the difficulty is obviously pay and insurance - you wouldn't expect the RNR to pay for it, so there would have to be a way to be paid by both the URNU and RNR, which is probably not possible. Alternatively, I would actually be happy to do some P2000 time unpaid, because it's good sea experience, but I think unpaid = uninsured.

As I say, I don't think it's possible, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Has anyone come across this dilemma before?
  2. I'm not sure on the original question, if BH doesn't answer, PM me and I will try. However, you are able to conduct RNR training unpaid, you fill a TTAO in, but state that it is unpaid, and then you are covered for insurance etc.
    Also, your unit should be able to advise you chapter and verse.

Good luck, and you could be a real HERMES recruiter. :)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Maybe things have changed more recently, but whilst at Oxford URNU I'm fairly sure our TO's were List 5 Reservists & only the students List 7. That said, they had completed Officer training either in the regulars or reserves. They were not trainee officers.
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

When you were at OURNU, you had at least one list 3 TO on your books too ;-)

The majority of TO's as I recall from those days were List 7s with no mobilisation obligation - any extant RNR officers remained on list 3 and did a deal through their unit for MTDs to be allocated as required.

Its not possible I believe to be on two lists, holding two different ranks at the same time in the RNR - I think it differs slightly for the Sea Cadets etc though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was in Oxford URNU too! I know those TOs - I can ask them.

Thank you very much. Either way, it sounds like I need to speak to my unit, and maybe complete training first. Thank you very much to everyone who has replied.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Small world! Still wouldn't like to have to paint it though :)
  7. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Tell you what, complete the JO pipeline, Fleetboard , Spec training, all within the specified timescales. Then do DO's course, DTTT, and get your second up. Then I think you'd make a credible candidate.

Sorry Lauren, applaud your enthusiasm but 'get some in' Lofty.:)
  8. Careful suggesting doing spec training before the DOs course - you will make CMR sad.
  9. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't fret: there'll probably be a new matrix along later this afternoon that changes everything and takes all last year's boarding candidates back off as no longer SQEP ;)
    • Like Like x 1