Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Possible Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's Elbow) Flare-Up (Pull-Ups) - How to Remedy Before Entry?

KJames

Midshipman
Hello everyone,

Good news first: I passed my PJFT+ and my entire medical, so I am onto AIB next. In a single go I can do 10-11 pull-ups with good form without elbow pain.

Not so good news: I was doing sets of pull-up on Saturday to build up to a maximum of 16-18 with an eye towards the gym test at CTCRM. I ended up doing 10, 8, 7, 6 and 5 with 2 minutes rest in-between. Afterwards was not so bad but Sunday and today I have felt a low-level (I can still type and do things, but it is there) pain.

A bit of background info may be pertinent: up to February 2021, I'd never had any issues with elbow pain or tendonitis despite a good few years of gym training (I am now 22). I was working with my PT training in lockdown (we had a set of those adjustable weights, a telescopic pull-up bar etc.) and had been doing a lot of upper body work when one day I felt this awful pain in my elbows. Even pushing a door caused it to seriously flare up and it would be difficult to sleep that night. I speak to the doctor over the phone and I am told I have medial epicondylitis (Golfer's Elbow). I rest it completely for a couple weeks and then gradually reintroduce exercises (under my qualified PT's supervision) which utilise the inner elbow tendons - like pull ups and curls - to gradually strengthen them again. Until Saturday I thought I was entirely past it.

I have stopped doing the stretches, Theraband work and other things I had been doing, and I suppose part of the reason why I've been free of it has been because, other than a 2 sets of 10 pull-ups every other day before my PJFT+, I've been focused entirely on the exercises required to pass the PJFT+ - which haven't placed significant strain on the inner elbows.

I know that I will need my upper-body strength to be in a strong place for training when I eventually get down to Lympstone, but at the same time I don't want to make a problem that I could remedy worse by 'training through it' and shoot myself in the foot. That, of course, rules out pull-up programs like the Russian Fighter Pull-Up Program which has 5 days in a row of volume.

What should I do?

As an aside, how common is it for recruits in training to get medial or lateral epicondylitis - and what happens to them? I'd guess they go into Hunter, but I'm not sure how serious it would be for a medical discharge to be considered.

Latest Threads