Possesions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GROUNDRUSH, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.
    I'm due to start Basic Training soon and wondering what to do with the stuff I own (Mountain Bike, Kites and kiteboard, Parachute, PC, TV, Stereo, Xbox)
    Is there room to keep this stuff on Base after Trade Training?
    And what happens to your accom when your assigned to a ship? Is the room kept as your own (so you can leave stuff in there) or taken by someone else and you move your stuff out?

2. Things may have changed since my days in the '70's and '80's but I honestly can't think any provsion will be made for all your clobber.
    For your basic training they should give you a list of what you can take; stick to this and take nothing else.
    Beyond that I can't say but hardly think they will keep accomodation for your stuff. There may be somewhere you can rent but I'd be highly surprised if any storage exists for all this stuff.
    Remember that when you get on a ship you will have a small locker in which to keep all your posessions. Anything you have beyond this will be your responsibility to store or dispose of.
    If I am wrong then someone please tell me but I honestly can't see it.

3. Room to yourself ? ffs -- Did ya forget your Surfboard LMAO!!!!!

4. With your spelling I hope you can read the contract's small print when you put most of your gear in commercial storage. Alternatively there is always your parent's garage?..........

5. Simple answer. After you complete your trade training you will get drafted to a ship and your accomodation will be handed over to someone else. Only take onboard ship smaller items as there will not be much space for personal belongings. You should be able to keep a pushbike onboard, usually kept in the hanger, but don't just assume this. Check before you take it. Your PC if it's a laptop, and Xbox will be ok, stereo depends on it's size, TV not at all, kites, kiteboard and parachute you can pretty much forget. Anything you take onboard you will have to be able to lock away, and remember there's not a lot of room. If you can leave it all at your parents gaff then do so.

6. If a submariner, you do keep a room in Drake/ Faslane. In your career training either Collingwood or Sultan, you will have a certain amount of space in your cabin, but with the adventure training aspect of RN you are better leaving all your adrenaline shit at parents. But when on ship, all stuff has to be back at your civilian residence as the only thing you can take is clothing and personal effects.

7. Seems everyone is about right and things haven't changed that much.
    Think one of the metre or so high half that width wide cupboards in your kitchen and that will probably be about your lot on board ship.
    Live lean and mean avoid clutter.
    I can still 20 yrs or so on go away for a fortnight with only handluggage; saves all that faff at airports.
    ps There was a reason for those creses of old they wore in trousers - because they could fold them up into a small bundle, easily stowed.

8. Cheers for feedback.
    Guess when I'm on base, my car boot's gonna become my storage space then.....maybe it's time to invest in a camper van.

9. what makes you think you can take a car??

10. Nah...not intending to take anything extra to Raleigh.
    I'm on about what I can take after trade training when I'm based.

11. Go to Ebay if i were you!

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Correct! Can I ask where you intend using your parachute onboard, or watching your own telly (despite the presence of your 20+ messmates), or why bother spending tax/insurance on a campervan when you're going to be away 6 months in every 18 whilst it rusts away on the jetty, or, whilst the seas are sometimes mountainous-where you intend using your mountain bike? Are you really sure the Navy is for you? The only kites you'll see, if you get that far, are in Singapore mate!

13. Maybe he could get the Skipper to crack on a bit and use it off the blunt end to do a bit of parascending?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Good call Andy, hadn't thought of that one!

15. The PC,Stereo,Xbox etc could be used as Small Arms Targets as well.

16. Amen! sussex2 is dead on target. You are entering a new world if you are joining the Navy. The friendship of your shipmates will mean more to you than any material goods ever will. Bring nothing but a good attitude and a willingness to learn. You can't go wrong. When I returned home on leave after my first deployment in the Med, all my worldly belongings fitted nicely in a seabag with room to spare. And I felt like the richest man in the world. Why? Because I was a SAILOR.

17. Commence playing 'In the Navy' by Village People now :lol:
    NZB

18. Ninja_Stoker

I think of them as compulsory companions, although you will make a few true friends along the way.

19. I Was never expecting to take more than the bare minimum either to Raleigh or onboard ship.
    It was land bases I want to know about.

20. Mountain Bike? 8O There was nothing wrong with pussers red devils 8)