PO's Mess Undress - Question.

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Squirrel, May 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, it's been a while....studying hard and all that.

I'm currently living in a mess with a fair few newly promoted PO's in it, (it's a tri-service mess and things have sadly been allowed to slack...allas no longer :twisted: )

Now when I first got rated up to PO, I went out and bought my mess undress complete with small PO's crossed anchors on the arms to denote my newly acquired rate. Now we have a mess dinner coming up, and my Army colleagues have been telling me that some of the recently promoted PO's have no badges of rank on their mess undress at all, and asked me whether this was correct. I replied that in my opinion, their rank should be shown, but that I would find out.

Does anyone know what the score is here? Because if, as I suspect, they should have their badges of rank displayed on their mess-undress (as I must as a WO2), I'll be dishing out a fair amount in port-fines in two weeks time. :lol:
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Ah! rules, rules , rules..................... as I understand it there aren't any!

Because Mess undress is privately purchased and not a requirement this has always been left down to the individual, or the Mess Pres to make a policy! Yeovil and Sultan have always allowed PO's not to wear the miniature PO badge on the basis that on promotion to Chief removal of the badge doesn't damage the jacket. I would suggest its fair, you know what rank they are anyway by the buttons on their cuffs and it might encourage your pongo and crabfat pals to take an interest in the intricacy of the Senior Service's Uniform :lol:
  3. Cheers for that CT, seems reasonable I suppose, although not really what I was hoping for... :lol:
  4. chieftiff

In that case why not have a word with the Mess Pres, encourage him to make the rule but not tell anybody! This way everyone's a winner; no one has to sew on a badge (because they don't know), no ruined jackets and you get to fine all of them :p
  5. Now that's the solution of kings! :lol:
  6. its all down to personal preference.
    I don't have any badges on mine, I think they look stupid.
  7. chieftiff

Come on Lamri, some PO's look OK: my wife does and I don't think I was too bad :D
  8. As far as I know there are no laid down rules for SR's mess undress as its not an official rig however, PO's have their badge as do the WO2 and 1's. CPO have the buttons. The pongo's that will dine with you will have alsorts of fancy dress crap on, each regiment is different. And as I found out in Cyprus if its a pongo run mess bash then it really does get silly with people senior to others by appointment.
  9. This has come up on another thread somewhere before.
    I purchased the undress when it first appeared for POs in the 70's, there were no badges then available, so I placed the tie pin (originally meant to be a collar badge) on the lapel and the mess pres was okay about.
    Do you still have the tiepins, or is it all shoulder badges these days?

10. Having just bough mess undress I'll go along with chieftiff and say no badges as they look crap when (or in my case if) you get your Chiefs up and have an ugly mark on the sleave.

No more tie pins - I have been looking for one for ages - If anyone has one spare that they don't want anymore :wink: :wink:
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

BR 81 - RPOs are the only personnel permitted to wear tie pins! :lol:
  12. Yes I still have my tie pin.
    Never wore it because I don't need it in ovvies :)
  13. Same here, as well as the bow tie, cummerbund and undress (with real buttons not the stabright ones), though the jacket is a bit tight across the chest, and the trousers far to large about the waist - I think I was a little pear shaped at the end of my service (too much beer at lunchtimes in the Mess probably ....!!!

14. Thanks for all your input guys, I will say though, that I have to disagree about the PO's badges looking stupid, I agree with Chaz (hello matey, long time no see...hope all's well) that PO's, like WO1s and WO2s have a badge, whereas CPO's have buttons, and as such, should wear it to identify themselves. I don't agree that the absence of any badge or buttons should identify them as PO's; whatever rank or rate you are, I believe you should wear it with pride, in whatever rig. I appreciate it's an unofficial rig, but if one chooses to shell out for it, then I think that one should go to the trouble of displaying the appropriate adornments. Just my opinion, and if there are no fixed rules on the subject, then so be it. You've answered my question and once again everyone, thank you all very much. :)
  15. Load of bollocks, it looks shite.
    Anyhoo, you want to wear it, wear it.
    Its all down to preference not protocol :)
  17. Its an unofficial rig - no defo rules with badges etc - no port fines!
  18. A PO's mess undress also has unique buttons, another way of identifying their rank.
  19. Let us see,

Not all PO's have branch badges, Tiffs do not.

If they want to wear rate badges that is silly as it is already covered by their no buttons worn.

If it is a question of wearing branch badges it will be welfare and white mafia brigade wanting to remind themselves who they are when they have had a few.

Also if they wear a branch badge, suggest you check it is actually a proper one and not one from a branch that no longer exists, just like the PO(M) CPO(M) who still insist on calling them selves POGI or CGI

hello that went out longer than most have lived.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. A few of the do's i've been to in mess undress had a couple wearing that small PO's badge and the rest of us without.
    Those without looked smart as feck, those with looked like a bunch of plebs to be honest.
    Who are they trying to prove something to? We are all senior rates! the Chiefs have buttons and the warrants have their badge, so there is no need for a PO to have a badge on his mess undress.
    Did I mention that they looked like plebs too [​IMG]