POs leadership course at Royal Arthur.............

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Polycell, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone there in 76? If so what class where you in?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

They're all DEAD! or is that a voice from beyond? :lol:
  3. What were they called, "The Clement Atlees"? :D
  4. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Cocoon Troop ;)
  5. I was there in 1971 and only have vague memories; of wooden huts; the Cliff and Chasm Run; the civvy chap, "General" Booth, who had notes for every lecture under the sun. I did Palmistry! Runs ashore at the Labour club in Melksham (strippers); being warned by the MAA about a bird called "The Wasp"; vicious games of deck hockey. Err, that's it for now.
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

It's of credit to your medical skills that you are still alive Wardmaster. :lol:
  7. I was there '76 there was a club down the road called The Flamingo (Flaming Joes as we called it) F troop used to attend a bunch of renegade Army wifes. Can't remember much about the course but the runs ashore were something else!!
  8. Royal Arthur, I seem to recall there was a women's refuge down the road, they loved it....
  9. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Flaming Joes is now called Lillies.
  10. Me toooooooooooooooooooooo!
  11. I was there in '79. Nearly didn't get married 'cos of a lovely girl from Bath. F troop....Flaming Joes.......we also had six weeks of it then.....great times, thoroughly enjoyed it.
  12. I was there in '67 (no terminal jokes please), and managed to pull a local bird for my six week holiday. The best recollection was drawing your tot at 1600 after the pain of the day had ceased, and then trying to talk yourself out of ANOTHER run ashore once you'd downed it.
    Also arriving back at "the digs" after the Black Mountains walk and being presented with TWO tots 'cause you'd missed yesterday's issue!

13. 2BM

I beat you to it. I was there in 65. I don't remember much about it though. I do remember then when we on the 3 mile run, the leutenant leading us got lost and we finished up going twice as far.
    I enjoyed the Cliff and Chasm and the Black Mountains but the lectures were boring.
  14. I don't live far from the old HMS Royal Arthur (the gates were shut for good in 1993).

I took my scootah for a run today, and paid the place a visit. The gates are wide open, padlock is busted. While I struggled to take it all in, it suddenly dawned on me why we fence off our establishments. It's to keep the animals out. Every single building inside and out has been vandalised & graffitied inside and out. The estate kids have obviously been busy

If you depress easily, I wouldn't watch my slide-show. For all those with hardened hearts this is what I found today. Link as follows:

Royal Arthur Video
  15. ..unbelievable...how sad..
  16. Fond memories of RA. Went there three times, Ship's co 67-69.
    Had a two striper make me turn over all the rum measures before I took them to be cleaned for Captains rounds. was still able to get a couple of tots out, he forgot to have me empty the pump.( OK I'll get me cap).
    2nd time 71-72 did the Black Mountains in February, have never been so cold .
    3rd time Sea cadet course in the early 80's.
    Great video by the way.

17. Thanks for that --good vid. and the music was appropriate too.

Was there in January/February 1965 -----fcuking freezing the whole time .
    Was in the wooden huts . Drove from Portsmouth using neat anti freeze on the windscreen to stop it icing up . The Black mountains was a real eye opener too.

Was there again in 1975 with my section for a week 'team building'
    still managed the cliff and chasm .

Six weeks of getting shagged out night and day ----the local ''ladies ''
    were very available . Great place and run ashore.

:nemo: :nemo:
  18. Thank you for making this visit. Your film of the base artistry and vandalism of young folk cannot erase the endeavours and spirit of thousands of similarly young Petty Officers who marched through the gates of ROYAL ARTHUR. I was there in 1965 as a student PO, in 1974-76 as a CPO Instructor and 1990 as the last Captain. I seem to remember I had a budget of £10,000 to keep the establishment grass cut and the flower beds weeded. It now looks like wasted money.
    All of the memories listed in this thread are correct. Only the hangovers cloud the detail. Yes, some of the lectures were boring but some were brilliant too. The best were often given by the students. Sometimes they neglected their preparation after a riggers-run in the Beer Kellar in Bristol or a late night in the Melksham Labour Club. I remember in 1975, a PO Stoker from Glasgow giving a completely off-the-cuff-no-notes hilarious talk about Euthanasia, sincerely believing it to be a Middle-Eastern country. Hold your sides too when Churchill or Mountbatten is expected but a group gives a presentation about the leadership qualities of Captain James T Kirk of the USS Enterprise.

Remember the knackering Cliff and Chasm? Remember the team spirit?

Remember the motto? Hoot with the Owl - but only if you can soar with the Eagle the next day.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for the video dit-dah-dit. Very happy time at Royal Arthur for me in summer 1990. Had just split up with some Wren (big love job), so was similar to joining foreign legion for me (well, a bit) and was in very much the right frame of mind. Lucky enough to be in a small (18 I think) and enthusiastic class who really gelled - rare (so I'm told) defeat of the staff in deck hockey, good Black Mountains time etc. lots of little victories. Would have loved to go back as an instructor, got the tick in the box, but it never happened and Excellent/Collingwood didn't have the same appeal.

What was that refuge? Lipiat (sp) centre or similar?
  20. Great film

was there in 85 (L/H) and 86 (PO), some tough but enjoyable at the end times

Who does it belong to now??