Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Portsmouth or Plymouth dockyards to close...?

Completely agree with you, they also seem to forget that the new Type 45 will have space for two troops of Soldiers/Marines, so send five of those and that is 300 troops, you then send the LPD and Ocean with their embarked forces and equipment, you have a fair few troops, equipment and vehicles plus you can use the huge array of weapons of the 45 in support.

Not that difficult really, and I'm just a simple Booty Cadet!

So you could put 300 marines on 5 destroyers and load up a sh1tload of tanks (*squadron?) and artillery (*battery?) on the LPDs - oh hang on! that makes too much sense, back to the drawing board. :lol:

* what are the correct terms for tank formations and artillery formations?

Flag Wagger

You are exactly right. Naval doctrine now places everything (other than the V Boats) secondary to Joint Ops expeditionary warfare. The prime point of the Navy and the Air Force is to project the Army into hot spots and sustain it. Despite the warnings provided by R Adml Parry about threats to our trade lanes and international piracy, we are reducing the means of countering them. A big capable ship can't be everywhere at once.

dunkers said:
So you could put 300 marines on 5 destroyers and load up a sh1tload of tanks (*squadron?) and artillery (*battery?) on the LPDs - oh hang on! that makes too much sense, back to the drawing board. :lol:
I thank you. (Though that may not help my Officer application, hope the AIB don't read this!)

dunkers said:
* what are the correct terms for tank formations and artillery formations?
This is a matelot board, we have no time for such trivial matters! Bring on more of those fancy T45 DDGs!

Passed-over_Loggie said:
Flag Wagger

You are exactly right. Naval doctrine now places everything (other than the V Boats) secondary to Joint Ops expeditionary warfare. The prime point of the Navy and the Air Force is to project the Army into hot spots and sustain it. Despite the warnings provided by R Adml Parry about threats to our trade lanes and international piracy, we are reducing the means of countering them. A big capable ship can't be everywhere at once.

In fact there was a Report written by a retired Admiral (if I remember correctly) in one of the broadsheets, saying exactly that, with a report on how Piracy is growing in the Meditteranean, they know full well that the key European powers are shutting down their Frigate/Destroyer numbers and it is easier for them to operate.

People do forget very quickly that 90% of our imports/exports use the sea, to lose that would cripple the country, and if piracy goes up, then the wages of merchant sailors goes up to persuade them, in face of the danger, which means shipping costs go up, which in turn means that the products we buy go up in price. Simple, building a bigger Navy to counteract the piracy threat is better for us in the long run.

percey99 said:
GOOD I do hope both get closed , and they build Hospitals on these sites >>>>
You should be put in a bloody hospital if you feel that way you turkey and you should get off this site. I bet your one of those pink and fluffy ******* who means well, but simply screws EVERYTHING up for the rest of the world. Do yourself a favour and get yourself committed, but before you do that, find another site.

Dabs said:
percey99 said:
You should be put in a bloody hospital if you feel that way you turkey and you should get off this site. I bet your one of those pink and fluffy ******* who means well, but simply screws EVERYTHING up for the rest of the world. Do yourself a favour and get yourself committed, but before you do that, find another site.

I'm kind of surprised that no-one has sussed that percey99 is this forum's very own pet troll, as such takes great delight in posting inanities and utter shite.

Best way is to ignore the 'me-me-me' ****.

Levers

Levers_Aligned said:
Dabs said:
percey99 said:

I'm kind of surprised that no-one has sussed that percey99 is this forum's very own pet troll, as such takes great delight in posting inanities and utter shite.

Best way is to ignore the 'me-me-me' ****.

Levers

Levers, I sussed him/she out ages ago and treat all the posts with the same disdain I treat dog poo on my shoe. :p :lol:

Booty & Dunkers

I'm afraid you've been somewhat mis-informed about the "huge array of weapons" on the T45 and the number of Royals they can carry. The first six will enter service with 48 AAW missiles and a MK8 4.5", plus Harpoon and they have accommodation for around 30 troops for any length of time. If we get the last two, they're likely to carry less........

You may also struggle to deliver said troops with two RIB seaboats and a Lynx - although the ship will take a naval Merlin, they will normally carry Lynx.

Loggie & Flagwagger - clearly you have been reading too much of Jane's Fighting Ships which indicates that other less than friendly countries may still maintain a submarine, surface ship and air force. Shame on you, Jane's is clearly not privy to the information held by MoD Main Building, which is that there is no submarine, surface or air threat that cannot be wished away in the interests of good accounting.........

Not_a_boffin said:
Loggie & Flagwagger - clearly you have been reading too much of Jane's Fighting Ships which indicates that other less than friendly countries may still maintain a submarine, surface ship and air force. Shame on you, Jane's is clearly not privy to the information held by MoD Main Building, which is that there is no submarine, surface or air threat that cannot be wished away in the interests of good accounting.........

Would this be a similar source to that used by the Treasury when they say "taxation is at an all time low", the Dept of Eduaction when they talk about rising standards and the NHS when they say that the NHS is getting more efficient by the second. The politicians approach to everything - never let reality intrude into the parallel univers occupied by politicians and bean counters.

Not_a_boffin

Where, pray, did I mention submarines (apart from the SSBN's place in maritime doctrine)? Not read Janes for years and what's the relevance?

Just a minute; that was irony tinted with satire, wasn't it.

Not_a_boffin said:
Booty & Dunkers

I'm afraid you've been somewhat mis-informed about the "huge array of weapons" on the T45 and the number of Royals they can carry. The first six will enter service with 48 AAW missiles and a MK8 4.5", plus Harpoon and they have accommodation for around 30 troops for any length of time. If we get the last two, they're likely to carry less........

You may also struggle to deliver said troops with two RIB seaboats and a Lynx - although the ship will take a naval Merlin, they will normally carry Lynx.

The Royal Navy Handbook (by the MoD) clearly states that its Military lift is 60 troops, that is two Troop (/Platoons). We are not talking about extended ops here, we are talking about an advance to contact, you can then move them to landing craft from the 45.

And if the 45s don't have a large weapons array, why are we being sold this as the world's most Advance Air Defence Destroyer.

Advanced in AAW and little else!

Royal won't get any support once he's out of range of the 4.5'

They are looking at 155mmm with even a manned turret (steady on cement heads), but its a long way off with no money. Even Tomahawk or a sea launced Storm Shadow will take so long to plan in a mission the contact will be over!