Portsmouth or Plymouth dockyards to close...?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
More deep water berths will be under construction in the very near future, not owning Portland hasn't stopped very high usage by the RFA's.
My understanding is that there will be a Z berth at Portland in the very near future.

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
A few additional facts re CVF & Berthing

1. She's not " a bit smaller than the old Ark" or 40000 tonnes. She's actually 65000 tonne at start of life, with provision to break the 70000 te barrier by OSD. Length is over 900 ft, beam at the flight deck of 220ft and max draft is 34 foot. That's all substantially bigger than Ark, or Eagle for that matter.

2. Anyone who thinks CVF could live at Marchwood has clearly never been there.

3. Non-military ports are all well and good in theory. Who is going to pay the commercial berthing rates and undertake the explosive safety case for the ship when fully bombed up?

4. Faslane is getting new berths specifcally for Astute which will be based exclusively there and should not need refuelling mid-life. When they're in, there will be very little jetty space remaining.

clanky

War Hero
Not_a_boffin said:
A few additional facts re CVF & Berthing

1. She's not " a bit smaller than the old Ark" or 40000 tonnes. She's actually 65000 tonne at start of life, with provision to break the 70000 te barrier by OSD. Length is over 900 ft, beam at the flight deck of 220ft and max draft is 34 foot. That's all substantially bigger than Ark, or Eagle for that matter.

2. Anyone who thinks CVF could live at Marchwood has clearly never been there.

3. Non-military ports are all well and good in theory. Who is going to pay the commercial berthing rates and undertake the explosive safety case for the ship when fully bombed up?

4. Faslane is getting new berths specifcally for Astute which will be based exclusively there and should not need refuelling mid-life. When they're in, there will be very little jetty space remaining.

The civilian port option is being considered. Lets face it, RFAs use them all the time. I have heard Milford Haven being mooted as a contender.

stumpy

War Hero
http://www.snp.org/policies/international-affairs/copy_of_index_html/2006-10-08.1230945146/download

The above link details the SNP's defence policy. It contains such nuggets as "Nuclear weapons will be banished from Scotland forever."

Can Tony Bliar guarantee that the SNP will not get in over the next few years, especially since 52% of Scots now want Independance?

Surely it is time to preserve and expand Portsmouth and Plymouth and start withdrawing from Faslane... To shut or shrink Portsmouth or Plymouth when the long term future of Faslane is doubtful is utter madness driven by a short term political crises rather than strategic need.

Guzz to stay- too much money invested in Nuclear Refit Complex.

Faslane to stay and get the carriers- good force protection measures possible, minimal outside shipping (in comparison to Pompey) and sufficient safe water (SSBN draws 16M- ergo the new carriers should make it in, albeit a tight fit!

Pompey is off- there is no reason to keep it as it stands. They have already flogged a lot of buildings (Victory Bldng included), with FLJ and Nelson Wardroom next on the list. What does that leave, other than the Vosper buildings- Old Sail Loft!

Portland may be used for basing- possibly in the same way as Falmouth is used for Argus at the moment.

A sorry state of affairs.

stumpy

War Hero
bongo_jeffrey said:
Guzz to stay- too much money invested in Nuclear Refit Complex.

Faslane to stay and get the carriers- good force protection measures possible, minimal outside shipping (in comparison to Pompey) and sufficient safe water (SSBN draws 16M- ergo the new carriers should make it in, albeit a tight fit!

Pompey is off- there is no reason to keep it as it stands. They have already flogged a lot of buildings (Victory Bldng included), with FLJ and Nelson Wardroom next on the list. What does that leave, other than the Vosper buildings- Old Sail Loft!

Portland may be used for basing- possibly in the same way as Falmouth is used for Argus at the moment.

Victory Building been flogged off??? I was in there only the other week.

A sorry state of affairs.

I am advised that Victory building has been sold- I believe that it is one of the few parts of the yard run under DLO as opposed to WSA. I am aware that it still remains manned and in use, but for how long I do not know.