Portsmouth or Plymouth dockyards to close...?

letthecatoutofthebag said:
TattooDog said:
I can't wait to see how it affects Separated Service totals!
It won't - Separated Service is defined as time spent away from your base port or normal place of duty. Therefore if St Athan becomes the new HMS SULTAN, for example, and you get drafted there for a courses it becomes your place of duty and does not add to your separated service. Separated Service is not service away from your own home.
You are of course correct - St Athan will become a new Base Port for drafting. The crafty little tinkers.

stumpy

War Hero
The advantage of the present system is that the training places are near naval bases, so the recruits/trainees can see where they will end up. Sticking it in Wales will destroy this. also, what about when Ops Rooms crews pop up to their simulators (and I guess the same for the engineers)... for many it is a quick trip across Pompey... now it will be a long trip to Wales... meaning more time away from home. This will be especially frustrating given that this will be in their limited time at home.

A wonderful decision for the Treasury, an applaing one for the RN.

Why not sell Parliament and Whitehall and build new ones in Southern Wales? It would save a fortune, and makes more sense than having naval training miles from a naval base. I remember a Yes Minister episode where they were moaning of the number of naval personnel in Bath. The modern reality is even more bizare.

This government always says it is listening. Have they asked sailors if they want to move to Wales?

clanky

War Hero
Moving Sultan has been on the cards for some time. IIRC a firm date has been publicised already. Part of the CLM role has moved from C'wood to BRNC. Anyone got any figures on how dependant Pompey/Gosport/Fareham is? on MOD employment?

stumpy

War Hero
Another ridiculous thing is that the big advantage to serving in the RN over the other two is the possibility of more stability, ie for many several years in Pompey or Guzz. To reduce this advantage seems crazy.

stumpy said:
Why not sell Parliament and Whitehall and build new ones in Southern Wales?
Also, why does FLEET HQ need to be on Whale Island?

If they move training to St Athan and close Pompey Naval Base, there will be no need to have HQ in the area, so we can move it to Wales too!

clanky

War Hero
stumpy said:
The advantage of the present system is that the training places are near naval bases, so the recruits/trainees can see where they will end up. Sticking it in Wales will destroy this. also, what about when Ops Rooms crews pop up to their simulators (and I guess the same for the engineers)... for many it is a quick trip across Pompey... now it will be a long trip to Wales... meaning more time away from home. This will be especially frustrating given that this will be in their limited time at home.

A wonderful decision for the Treasury, an applaing one for the RN.

Why not sell Parliament and Whitehall and build new ones in Southern Wales? It would save a fortune, and makes more sense than having naval training miles from a naval base. I remember a Yes Minister episode where they were moaning of the number of naval personnel in Bath. The modern reality is even more bizare.

This government always says it is listening. Have they asked sailors if they want to move to Wales?
If the navy has withdrawn from Pompey, it will no longer matter where the training is. I'd rather drive to Wales than Pompey any day(Its probably quicker in the summer). Even if they where that bothered about our preferences where, it will be a moot point once all instruction is civilianised.

clanky said:
Moving Sultan has been on the cards for some time. IIRC a firm date has been publicised already. Part of the CLM role has moved from C'wood to BRNC. Anyone got any figures on how dependant Pompey/Gosport/Fareham is? on MOD employment?
There isn't a lot else in the way of employment in this neck of the woods.

I also believe AIB is moving down to Dartmouth and it was also proposed at one stage that Phase 1 training be moved from Torpoint to Dartmouth, but I don't know whether that has been scotched.

There is currently a big effort to justify Dartmouth - after all, which senior officer wants to go down in history as the 1SL who closed BRNC?

clanky

War Hero
TattooDog said:
clanky said:
There isn't a lot else in the way of employment in this neck of the woods.

I also believe AIB is moving down to Dartmouth and it was also proposed at one stage that Phase 1 training be moved from Torpoint to Dartmouth, but I don't know whether that has been scotched.

There is currently a big effort to justify Dartmouth - after all, which senior officer wants to go down in history as the 1SL who closed BRNC?
Spot on!

dt018a9667

War Hero
letthecatoutofthebag said:
TattooDog said:
You'd be surprised. A few years back, the then Commodore was apparently told to prepare to be the last one. The then First and Second Sea Lords were ready to close it and move officer training to RALEIGH. There are many people within FOTR's organisation who would be happy to sea BRNC closed.

However, with a few changes of personnel the position was reversed and I have it on good authority that the current Cdre was told to everything in his power to esure it stayed open with the full support of 1SL, CINC and 2SL.

Well my what a surprise, I would never of guessed that my lords of the admiralty would sink so low.

To be honest, all he's saying to the Guz population is the same he's been saying to Portsmouth and will say to Faslane:

"You're all doing very well, and it's inconceivable that we would close {insert as appropriate} dockyard"

However, they're not ruling out job losses, rundowns, privatisation etc.