Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Portsmouth or Plymouth dockyards to close...?

More deep water berths will be under construction in the very near future, not owning Portland hasn't stopped very high usage by the RFA's.
My understanding is that there will be a Z berth at Portland in the very near future.
 
A few additional facts re CVF & Berthing

1. She's not " a bit smaller than the old Ark" or 40000 tonnes. She's actually 65000 tonne at start of life, with provision to break the 70000 te barrier by OSD. Length is over 900 ft, beam at the flight deck of 220ft and max draft is 34 foot. That's all substantially bigger than Ark, or Eagle for that matter.

2. Anyone who thinks CVF could live at Marchwood has clearly never been there.

3. Non-military ports are all well and good in theory. Who is going to pay the commercial berthing rates and undertake the explosive safety case for the ship when fully bombed up?

4. Faslane is getting new berths specifcally for Astute which will be based exclusively there and should not need refuelling mid-life. When they're in, there will be very little jetty space remaining.
 
Not_a_boffin said:
A few additional facts re CVF & Berthing

1. She's not " a bit smaller than the old Ark" or 40000 tonnes. She's actually 65000 tonne at start of life, with provision to break the 70000 te barrier by OSD. Length is over 900 ft, beam at the flight deck of 220ft and max draft is 34 foot. That's all substantially bigger than Ark, or Eagle for that matter.

2. Anyone who thinks CVF could live at Marchwood has clearly never been there.

3. Non-military ports are all well and good in theory. Who is going to pay the commercial berthing rates and undertake the explosive safety case for the ship when fully bombed up?

4. Faslane is getting new berths specifcally for Astute which will be based exclusively there and should not need refuelling mid-life. When they're in, there will be very little jetty space remaining.

The civilian port option is being considered. Lets face it, RFAs use them all the time. I have heard Milford Haven being mooted as a contender.
 
http://www.snp.org/policies/international-affairs/copy_of_index_html/2006-10-08.1230945146/download

The above link details the SNP's defence policy. It contains such nuggets as "Nuclear weapons will be banished from Scotland forever."

Can Tony Bliar guarantee that the SNP will not get in over the next few years, especially since 52% of Scots now want Independance?

Surely it is time to preserve and expand Portsmouth and Plymouth and start withdrawing from Faslane... To shut or shrink Portsmouth or Plymouth when the long term future of Faslane is doubtful is utter madness driven by a short term political crises rather than strategic need.
 
Guzz to stay- too much money invested in Nuclear Refit Complex.

Faslane to stay and get the carriers- good force protection measures possible, minimal outside shipping (in comparison to Pompey) and sufficient safe water (SSBN draws 16M- ergo the new carriers should make it in, albeit a tight fit!

Pompey is off- there is no reason to keep it as it stands. They have already flogged a lot of buildings (Victory Bldng included), with FLJ and Nelson Wardroom next on the list. What does that leave, other than the Vosper buildings- Old Sail Loft!

Portland may be used for basing- possibly in the same way as Falmouth is used for Argus at the moment.

A sorry state of affairs.
 
bongo_jeffrey said:
Guzz to stay- too much money invested in Nuclear Refit Complex.

Faslane to stay and get the carriers- good force protection measures possible, minimal outside shipping (in comparison to Pompey) and sufficient safe water (SSBN draws 16M- ergo the new carriers should make it in, albeit a tight fit!

Pompey is off- there is no reason to keep it as it stands. They have already flogged a lot of buildings (Victory Bldng included), with FLJ and Nelson Wardroom next on the list. What does that leave, other than the Vosper buildings- Old Sail Loft!

Portland may be used for basing- possibly in the same way as Falmouth is used for Argus at the moment.

Victory Building been flogged off??? I was in there only the other week.

A sorry state of affairs.
 
I am advised that Victory building has been sold- I believe that it is one of the few parts of the yard run under DLO as opposed to WSA. I am aware that it still remains manned and in use, but for how long I do not know.
 
bongo_jeffrey said:
I am advised that Victory building has been sold- I believe that it is one of the few parts of the yard run under DLO as opposed to WSA. I am aware that it still remains manned and in use, but for how long I do not know.


That used to be a common thing in the Navy -------sell it and then rent it back!! :lol:
 
Always_a_Civvy said:
There was a mini Debate on this in Westminster Hall (Commons Hansard: 5 Dec 2006, Col.67WH+) whilst I was off work sick. The Debate on the future of Pompey is below.
http://www.publications.parliament....061205/halltext/61205h0010.htm#06120550000005

Read the debate publication and saw the mention of training establishments in the Pompey area and that is one of the reasons Pompey should remain. I heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago that the facilities at Collingwood are going to be moved to RAF St Athans in South Wales. There was also an item on Welsh News tonight that the MOD are looking at investing billions there. St Athan has got the space to house the the training that is currently done at Collingwood. If the rumour is true then it is possible that they are looking at closing Pompey down.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top