Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship"

Dusty70

War Hero
They are now.
But they were still in the RN long after Plymouth was decomissioned.

Image PNS Designation RN Designation Commissioned with RN Fate
Babur Amazon Commissioned in the Royal Navy in 1974 Transferred in 1993 to Pakistan Navy. Decommissioned in 2015.[10]
Badr Alacrity Commissioned into Royal Navy in 1977 Transferred to Pakistan Navy in 1994. Decommissioned in 2014.[2]
Tippu Sultan Avenger Commissioned into Royal Navy in 1975 Transferred to Pakistan Navy in 1994, currently in active duty service
. Shah Jahan Active Commissioned into Royal Navy in 1977 Transferred in 1994 to Pakistan Navy, currently in active duty service.
Tariq Ambuscade Commissioned into Royal Navy in 1975.Transferred to Pakistan Navy in 1993, currently in active duty service as the lead ship of her class.
Khaibar Arrow Commissioned into Royal Navy in 1976 Transferred to Pakistan Navy in 1994, currently in active duty service.

Well I never knew that Ballistic - out of sight out of mind perhaps

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst I fully understand, from first hand experience, the sentiment and feelings of those who served on ships on which lives were lost and indeed their loved ones, I do struggle to understand why there's been two Sheffield's and one Coventry since the Falklands but no Ardent, Antelope, Glamorgan, Atlantic Conveyor, Argonaut, etc.

Similarly, I doubt there's ever likely to be another General Belgrano, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Hood, Royal Oak, Barham or Titanic, so I'm not at all sure I follow the logic.

Then again I voted for Boaty McBoatface, so what do I know?

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Whilst I fully understand, from first hand experience, the sentiment and feelings of those who served on ships on which lives were lost and indeed their loved ones, I do struggle to understand why there's been two Sheffield's and one Coventry since the Falklands but no Ardent, Antelope, Glamorgan, Atlantic Conveyor, Argonaut, etc.

Similarly, I doubt there's ever likely to be another General Belgrano, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Hood, Royal Oak, Barham or Titanic, so I'm not at all sure I follow the logic.

Then again I voted for Boaty McBoatface, so what do I know?

NS, I agree with your assessment, except you might be wrong about the Titanic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-clive-palmer-blue-star-line-southhampton-new-York/

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Wightsparker

War Hero
Many years ago I grumbled to a member of the Ship Names Committee that after a promising start they had failed dismally to continue with the logic of the Isle of Wight Seaside Towns class single role minehunter .

"No, no, you don't understand....." he said.

Latest Threads