Portsmouth News: "Falklands Fighter Ace Calls For Cost Controls Over UK’s £9.2bn F-35 Project"

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
I must have imagined the RAF Wing Commander that I worked with who had 2 x DFC for his service in Afghanistan flying helicopters.

More to the point, most posts and areas are one man deep. Replying to an FOI takes the expert off the job the taxpayer wants them to do in order to spend time replying to the latest deeply tedious missive from someone who shouts at clouds regularly.

Sharkey may have been a good pilot 36 years ago. That doesnt mean he is any good at writing on the state of the modern armed forces though.

If that's the bloke I think it is, he's now a Gp Capt with 3 DFCs....!!!!

Sharkey was a good pilot 30-odd years ago, but I'd offer he was no better than any of the remainder of the RN / RAF SHAR / GR3 Harrier team who excelled in 1982. Putting things into a little perspective, had we drawn upon 35 yr old expertise for said Op CORPORATE, we'd have been asking blokes who flew Spitfires and Mosquitos in 1947. That's how relevant Ward's experience is nowadays; in order to bolster his credibility, he still refers to himself as "Commander Nigel Ward, Air Warfare Instructor". Both of those titles are 35yrs+ out-of-date.

I'm with Magic Mushroom on this - Ward's legacy as a war-fighting CO, backed up by his DSC, meant that he could have been an extremely powerful advocate for naval aviation in general and the FAA as a specific branch of service. As is, he has squandered that legacy in favour of continually and caustically criticising command elements of the RN, opposite numbers of his in the SHAR world, and the entire RAF, wasting people's time with his turgid "Executive Papers" filled with baseless assertions, half-truths, selective facts and outright lies; as well as the indefensible defamation of those KIA who are no longer around to defend themselves.

This, in the eyes of many of the current generation, makes him look bitter, toxic, backward-looking and consumed by hatred.

I genuinely hope that he makes internal peace with whatever it is that causes him such angst, or he'll take it to the grave.

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
Commander Ward’s designation of ‘ace’ with 3 kills in the air is a long way short of the jet ace of aces Colonel Giora Epstein with 17 or several WWII aces who scored in scores and some in the hundreds. They had more time to rack up victories but they did it without Harriers.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
If that's the bloke I think it is, he's now a Gp Capt with 3 DFCs....!!!!

That individual will shortly be a 1* and off to PJHQ.

Commander Ward’s designation of ‘ace’ with 3 kills in the air is a long way short of the jet ace of aces Colonel Giora Epstein with 17 or several WWII aces who scored in scores and some in the hundreds. They had more time to rack up victories but they did it without Harriers.

In fairness, I don't think Mr Ward has ever referred to himself as an 'ace.'

Regards,
MM

Stirlin

War Hero
We have all been entertained by Mr Cut n Paste being cut into bite size chunks by the serving ranks , by all means have an opinion but know when to oil your spade and stow it back in the shed.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I remember reading one of his rants to the Foreign Secretary going on about how RAF Transport Command was failing the nation and only the Navy could deliver. The minor problem being that Transport Command was disbanded approximately 35 years before the date of his letter...

Seadog

War Hero
Ward's legacy as a war-fighting CO, backed up by his DSC, meant that he could have been an extremely powerful advocate for naval aviation in general and the FAA as a specific branch of service.

Several high profile WWII pilots were household names ( in houses where anoraks lived anyway ) and admired long after the war, even the baddies; Brown, Bader, Stanford Tuck, Rall, Galland and the aforementioned Hartmann for example. Ward has a different sort of post conflict profile.