Portsmouth Navy Days.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by onions, May 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In tonights local rag, www.portsmouth.co.uk, there was an article under the heading, "Navy can't wait to show off ships over weekend." It relates to what i take is Portsmouth Navy Days. If three ships is all they can muster, HMS Kent, HMS Mersey and HMS Trumpeter, then the 10,000 visiters they expect are being short changed, especially as the price are exorbitant. £16.50 for adults, £14 for seniors and £12 for kids.

Semper Strenuissima.
  2. It will all be worth it if Royal is there doing there war'y thing!
    However it will never beat Navy Days 04 in Devonport where we attacked the southern half of the dockyard!
  3. It's not the real Navy Days as they're usually held during August.

According to Weekly Orders, it's a "historic" weekend - gives Joe Public the chance to tour the historic bits of the dockyard and a couple of ships.

Although the way the fleet is headed, it may as well be Navy Days!

Edited: £16-50???? Sod that, I can get in the dockyard each day for free and get paid for it!
  4. Oh dear!
    I bet it has kept an old CMDR on his last 5yrs in a job! (Another waist of money!!!!!) I hope it wont ruin the real Navy Days!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's Guzz this year & it's in August. Obviously another feeble money-making (Day-light bloody robbery) plot.

It's not that long ago that we actually had enough manpower & ships to have a Pompey & Guzz Navy Days each year.
  6. Yes! They were the days!!!!
  7. Ahhh, the days when the jettys were 3 abreast with Leanders and Type 21s.
  8. I even remember having them at Rosyth. Pity having to travel all the way to the south coast for them now. :( :(
  9. TD Quote. According to Weekly Orders, it's a "historic" weekend - gives Joe Public the chance to tour the historic bits of the dockyard and a couple of ships.

TD, "Heritage" weekend is in September and is free. So what's this "Historic" weekend, especially as you have to pay to get in. Do you know what parts/dockyard buildings are open?

Keep Striving
  10. From the publicity blurb:

"Royal Navy Past & Present"

"Visitors will be able to go on board two serving naval warships (subject to operational commitment), see the world famous Band of HM Royal Marines, fly a helicopter in Action Stations, visit the new Task Force South exhibition at the Royal Naval Museum or take a daily guided Harbour Tour boat trip which will include the Falklands veterans HMS Fearless and HMS Intrepid. Guided Harbour Tour leaves at 10.15am "

Hmmmm. :?

Not many Historic Buildings there - when I saw the original dit, I assumed that you'd be able to visit the old rope and block factories. Obviously not.

TBH, not many of us knew about it until last week when it came out in Weekly Orders.