Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1st

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Jan 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

bump

2. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Announcing the return of HMS INTREPID to portsmouth. Yes Intrepid will be making a guest appearance at this years navy days event. Althought the real ship has now gone forever, we will be holding an exhibition of artefacts and images from this great ship. For more info visit my web at www.hmsintrepid.co.uk or email us here

3. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Crabbiest old tub I had the misfortune to step onto, waking up with dozens of cockroaches running all over you, horrible.

Ian

4. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Goodie gumdrops. How about a carrier, too? That would be nice.

As would discounted entry for those of us on the inside.

(About time the RN updated their seemingly only file picture of Daring at sea, too.)

5. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Soleil: Good one mate thanks for that. Was wondering when it was going to happen. Will try and make it this year if I can. Any 'Boats' on view/open to the public ? Or is that asking too much ?

6. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Only two left now, so it only takes one to be deployed and the other at Rosyth for refit and that scuppers any plans for those. Agree with the sentiment though, makes for a lousy Navy Days without a Carrier. :(

7. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Booked my ticket and looking forward to having a skeg around the new Type 45s.

8. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Oooh, the Beeb here in the South have just reported that the Aldershot Army Show has been cancelled for this year (3/4 July), citing operational commitments and the current financial climate.

Just wonder - and hope - that the RN has the money and sponsorship in place so that this year's and future Navy Days don't hit the same buffers.

9. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Most definitely wouldn't miss it.

10. Sod it I'm not down South till mid August might have to see if I can make a sneaky pre-trip.

11. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Bump! :)

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

13. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Navy Days 2010 is taking place in Portsmouth Naval Base this weekend. As many will know, Project Vernon is the campaign to erect a monument in Gunwhard Quays to commemorate the minewarfare and diving heritage of HMS VERNON which formerly stood on the site. It will have a stand at Navy Days near Middle Jetty, co-located with the Portsmouth-based Southern Diving Unit 2 (SDU2) and a working equipment group from the Historical Diving Society (HDS). You will be able to see RN and civilian divers wearing old and new equipment while swimming in a display tank, as well as examples of other diving kit and mines.

[align=center][​IMG]

Artist's impression of Vernon Monument to be
    sculpted by Les Johnson FRBS
    [/align]

To help raise funds, the Project Vernon team has already sold many sketches and prints of a painting entitled 'Danger at Depth' which depicts a a UK Mk 17L moored mine and a 1970s vintage clearance diver, contemporaneous with HMS VERNON in its post-war heyday.

[align=center][​IMG]
    'Danger at Depth' by John Terry FCSD[/align]

For the first time, the Project will also be selling a range of sketches of VERNON's waterfront and Portsmouth harbour mouth during the 1970s plus prints of a full colour painting of one of a chosen sketch.
    [align=center][​IMG]
    'Vernon Creek' by John Terry FCSD[/align]

These works of art were all created by Mr John Terry FCSD who worked in the Portsmouth Illustrators Group in HMS VERNON during the 1970s/80s and has just retired as Head of Fleet Graphics and Publications at HMS EXCELLENT. If you ever worked or were trained in HMS VERNON, or served in one of the many attached ships, these pictures are well worth looking at in detail.

See you at the stand this weekend.

14. BUMP before it drops out of the Top 50.

15. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

From the website -

"Service personnel in uniform will get free entry but no concessions for friends and family; service personnel not in uniform will get a child rate but no concession for their friends or family."

16. BUMP! It starts tomorrow (Friday) and having seen today's preparations and rehearsals, it will be well worth attending even though it's on a smaller scale than some of us can remember. From the weather forecast, tomorrow should be the best day.

17. Re: Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1

Bump

Looking forward to it!!! :bounce: