Portsmouth FC take over Horsea

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wave_dodger, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Okay, so the RN have asked that their proposal for a stadium on the Hard be rejected on security grounds and have compromised with Horsea Island but what happens to the Defence Diving School?

I suppose the pompey strikers can practise ha ha

2. The news say's that it will be renovated as part of the deal.

Clicky

3. wave_dodger

Cheers hadn't thought about the local paper, probably because even after 16 years down here I still don't think of myself as a local.

Sounds like it could be quite cramped across there DDs squeezed in between 1500 houses and a stadium (only a little one though).

It'll be interesting to see what the Council planners recommendn with regard to access and trsanport links, as it is the M275 is a nightmare.

4. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Great time to build this then:

[​IMG]

to relieve the agony on Gosport and Fareham's road system and allow easy access on matchdays.

Levers

5. Levers,

It'll never happen because:

1. it's common sense
    2. it's a good idea
    3. it'll probably be low cost (lower than a tram, tunnel or monorail anyway)
    4. it's feasible

For some reason, councillors prefer the impossible, expensive, high tech options - gives them bigger stiffies!

6. I think the LRT system is well overdue! I remember being at school and we had to 'review' it as a geography project! If the new stadium is to be built within the city then we need other options because the M275 and Eastern Road are not enough.

7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

The M275 is enough, and will work with the new stadium built at Horsea. What they need to cater for, however, is the gridlock at Farehamhead (by the viaduct) and the fact that over 70,000 vehicles use the A32 at mean speed of 7mph during peak hours per day. If they built the harbour link and stopped ******* about with pipedreams about LRTs and suchlike, they'd have a viable option to ship two thrids of this traffic across to where it wants to be (i.e. jack travelling from Gosport to Pompey and eastern bound trafic to Chichester and London. The smally link road between the roundabut at the Mountbatten centre to that jct alleviates the nause at Rudmore as well. SEEDRA saw my drawing and they almost shat an ecological pineapple. Never mind about the pollutants on the A32 stretch, though. Viggers was no use whatsoever.

Levers

8. Levers - it's good stuff, eminently sensible and ecologically friendly etc. but as TattooDog says..............................

9. I'll never get a bloody round down at Tipner with that proposal, at least the gallery range would be replaced with an MTR though! :laughing5:

10. Levers what a brilliant sensible idea - scrap that one then!

11. Well, we have been expecting Horsea to go for quite a while now, it's too nice a place not to get flogged off despite everyone's best efforts to keep a low profile. I was planning to have my ashes sprinkled on the waters too so that I could come back and haunt baby divers but I would get precious little rest anywhere near a round ball stadium.

I cannot really believe that there is enough space there, something one and a half times the size of Fratton Park won't fit surely? Why not stick it out on the ogwash in front of Portchester Castle or, better still, off Southsea beach near one of the forts?

12. Better still, why bother at all? The other one works perfectly well doesn't it, allbeit being a tad old?

13. According to The News part of torpedo lake will form part of a water feature for the new flats/ground.

DDS is staying, and will be refurbished with cash from the sale of MOD land around the site.

As long as the RN/DefEstates pull their finger out it shouldn't be too bad an idea! I agree with others though who say it may be a bit cramped round Horsea Isl. soon!

14. wave_dodger

I can't imagine how this will work - I thought (not an MCD but friends are) they used the full length for navigation training, endurance dives, where will they train - in the harbour?

I like Levers images of the Bridge, I'd forgotten all about that and the light railway - that was being mentioned when I was at Daedalus in '92 and then at Sultan in '97/98 - all went quiet after that.

They need to do something this is the worst part of the South for access - possibly the only place with a bigger problem is Weymouth.