Portsmouth Dockyard again !!

I was chatting to our Harbour master today and the topic got round to Pompey Dockyard etc and he came out with this little story,so I thought in the interests of everyone on here I had better post it :

He is very matey with the Harbour master at Pompey and he said they were chatting about the Dockyard and closures etc and then he said that he has seen the plans for the Liner berth next to the Spinnaker Tower in Pompey because apparently Cunard are seriously thinking of pulling out of Southampton and moving to Pompey and berthing right next to all our Maritime History,that is also part reason they have done the Deep Water Channel into Pompey as well.

So read into this what you like !!!!

Here's another one,

Pompey shuts because of the real estate value.
CVH/CVS find it difficult to get into Guzz because of draft so Portland gets re-opened and modernised.

stumpy

War Hero
Nicks said:
I was chatting to our Harbour master today and the topic got round to Pompey Dockyard etc and he came out with this little story,so I thought in the interests of everyone on here I had better post it :

He is very matey with the Harbour master at Pompey and he said they were chatting about the Dockyard and closures etc and then he said that he has seen the plans for the Liner berth next to the Spinnaker Tower in Pompey because apparently Cunard are seriously thinking of pulling out of Southampton and moving to Pompey and berthing right next to all our Maritime History,that is also part reason they have done the Deep Water Channel into Pompey as well.

I have got to admit it would be more impressive than Southampton. You leave New York and gasp at its amazing skyline then 7 days later you sail past Fawley and up to Southampton, not very impressive at all.

Personally I would rather see Pompey full of warships though!

Nicks said:

That's interesting.. and depressing at the same time. :( I'm with Stumpy on this one. Warships are a better sight.

Lamri said:
Here's another one,

CVH/CVS find it difficult to get into Guzz because of draft so Portland gets re-opened and modernised.

He was a Navigator on Lusty as well and he said the down side of Guzz was getting in and out of the place as it was so busy as well as getting round Drake Island etc.

clanky

War Hero
Nicks said:

IMHO the dredging in Pompey was never going to be for the CVF. If we ever get the new carriers, I suspect we'll be surprised where they end up being base ported.
Berthing liners in Gunwharf might be great for the local economy, but I can't imagine its a prime destination for the international jet-set. New York to DSC just doesn't have the same ring to it! Imagine busloads of the idle rich being dropped off for an evening in the Mucky Duck or The PT prior to finishing the evening with a messy burger.

I reckon they're gonna save money by combining aircarft carriers with liners. There'll be a swimming pool in front of the ski jump, and deck chairs on the goofers gallery. We'll have to clean up the sod's opera a bit, and get used to bingo and tea dancing on the hangar deck. But at least we'll get a bar open at sea again.

The navy will be self-funding that way..... and the RNR will have the best of both worlds.

clanky said:
Berthing liners in Gunwharf might be great for the local economy, but I can't imagine its a prime destination for the international jet-set. New York to DSC just doesn't have the same ring to it! Imagine busloads of the idle rich being dropped off for an evening in the Mucky Duck or The PT prior to finishing the evening with a messy burger.

I can't wait to see that!

Half the tour of Sh1tsville will be spent on the Rudmore Flyover, followed by the Unicorn Gate traffic lights and stuck in a jam on Mountbatten Way and, to cap it all, 2 hours spent at the f&cking gate waiting to get a f&cking pass before they can get back in!

Guess what kind of a week I've had! :x

clanky

War Hero
Nicks said:
Lamri said:
Here's another one,

He was a Navigator on Lusty as well and he said the down side of Guzz was getting in and out of the place as it was so busy as well as getting round Drake Island etc.

I'm detecting a slight whiff of bullsh here. The mighty O has (roughly)the same bottom plan as a CVS, she gets in and out of Guzz OK. Not forgetting that Lusty refitted there in 92/93. Anyone care to guess which class of capial ships has the deepest draught?Care to guess where they go for refit? How about guessing which pussers ship has the deepest draught, and where she is based. I suspect someone is clutching at straws.

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
Clanky, read up on the size of CVF, mate. CVS it ain't.

LPH Length ~200m, beam (oa) 34m, draft (~6m) Full load displ 21000 te

CVF length ~285m, beam (oa) 68m, draft (up to 11m), Full load displ over 65000 te

Half the tour of Sh1tsville will be spent on the Rudmore Flyover, followed by the Unicorn Gate traffic lights and stuck in a jam on Mountbatten Way and, to cap it all, 2 hours spent at the f&cking gate waiting to get a f&cking pass before they can get back in!

Guess what kind of a week I've had! :x[/quote]

now true!

clanky

War Hero
Not_a_boffin said:
Clanky, read up on the size of CVF, mate. CVS it ain't.

LPH Length ~200m, beam (oa) 34m, draft (~6m) Full load displ 21000 te

CVF length ~285m, beam (oa) 68m, draft (up to 11m), Full load displ over 65000 te

Which is why I was only referring to the alleged difficulties in getting a CVS sized ship into Guzz! I've expressed my opinion(which, like an a**hole, every one's entitled to ) about likely baseporting of the CVF already.