Discussion in 'The Internet - Best and Worst' started by BillyNoMates, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Where you from?"
    "What, 'Ammersmiff?"
    "Nah, Portsmiff."
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The T is silent, as in Fra'un.
  3. wal

wal Badgeman

The pictures of the ale houses brought back some happy memories.
  4. Some interesting stuff, even though my memories are more the 70, 80 and 90's

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I could go on and on about the old Portsmouth photos but I'll stick with -

Channel Airways - I used the Dakotas to visit my mother on Guernsey in the 60s. One trip back there was a very low cloudbase and the aircraft went round and round looking for a hole while the stewardess swung between the seats 'reassuring' the folk. At 'It's quite OK, we can stay up for another hour' the bod next to me disappeared into his sick bag. The City Council wanted to redevelop (as of course happened) so would not allow a decent terminal building. Then the Daks were replaced with the result shown as TWO aircraft went through the boundary fence onto Eastern Road in a day, and that was the end of that. When the site was developed two retracting gun turrets were found (to the surprise of the developers) beneath the turf.

The old Gosport car ferry from a ramp near the Still and West. Three Canadians on course with me had a massive Triumph Gloria sports car with a BFO scarlet maple leaf painted on the boot. They got into pole position for a trip to Lee but stalled on the ramp on arrival at Gosport and goodness knows how many people it took to push their huge thing UP the ramp so that everyone else could get off.

The ads set off all sorts of jingles inside my brain like 'Mum, where's the Germolene?' and 'You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!'

... and then there's all of Elvis.
  6. I worked in the Wiltshire Lamb under Sweeny Todd in the early Seventies.
  7. I've never forgotten the first time I heard that, because it creased me up. An SA to a receptionist in the Balmacara hotel, (Naval digs, Kyle of Lochalsh) early '81. And she was!
  8. Dog shit city.