Portland Up Spirits 2009

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by Pieratking, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As many of you know (though sadly fewer every year) the RN rum issue was stopped on 31 July 1970. Since then the Corner House Inn on Portland has hosted a rum issue (unfortunately no longer free) on the Saturday nearest 31st July, which for 2009 is Saturday Aug 1st.

Up Spirits is piped at 11.55 with rum measured and issued at 12.00 (midday) as the afternoon goes on the dits get bigger and better and an uckers board has been known to make an appearance.

You may meet some old oppos or even make some new ones!

2. i was the rum bosun in hms osprey in 1970 and served the last tot, to myself. happy days! the senior rates mess came to collect their bubbly and carried back to the mess in a fullsize, pukka coffin. one of the few times i have seen grown mtelots cry.
    where is the corner house pub exactly as i can see a trip coming up.

3. Hi Jan

That was a quick response!

The Corner House is in Easton, going out of the village square towards the bill, on a sharp RH bend (hence the corner house!)

I have hopefully attached a map at:

http://www.multimap.com/s/iyF8S4kk

Andy

4. As PO's messman in 69, (I was a junior), I have to say thanks to the members of the PO's mess one Sunday afternoon for sneaking me a tot, making me drink it back in one subsequently missing 2 meals!!! That was my first and last real tot, albeit illegal!!!! Best kip I had in many a moon.

5. We have decided to have a break with tradition this year - previously we have piped hands to dinner at 12.00 followed by up spirits, but a tot at 12.00 seems to write off eveyones afternoon! So this year the plan is to delay slightly and have up spirits at 15.00.

All welcome

6. :wink: :wink: missmusters/neaters like it :lol: :lol: