Portland pub re-opens.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Waspie, Mar 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Always good to hear an old haunt will open again, but for me I might never enter the doors again. :-(

2. Is this the Gaff where UC's on their twos course used to be victualed for a couple of weeks whilst training on the type 12's from the Portland Sqn. Keppel, Grafton etc. Naval Gazer might know

3. Wasn't that the Green Shutter outside the dockyard gate?

4. As Waspie says, some guys used to be put up at the Green Shutters just outside the main gate of the naval base but I don't know if any were accommodated at the Royal Victoria Hotel:

Royal Victoria Hotel.jpg

The Masonic Hall was just across the road and I gave blood there occasionally. More memory-jogging pictures here.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Off track slightly but in the mid to late 80's, FDO & SMAC 19 courses were also accommodated in the Royal Vic if accommodation wasn't available in Osprey. I was anyway.

6. Always wanted to nip out of the Airstation after an early chop, through that gate that was opposite, the pub!!!! but always had to walk round through the maingate entrance. That wall was to big to climb:laughing2:

7. Searching through the memory banks, and the Vic does somehow ring a bell. There were about six to a room and the heating consisted of a metered electric heater, which cost one shilling. But Jack had adapted it to take a half-penny coin. Our Dorm was more like a sauna. But then Portland was always freezing. No wonder the pub shut. :-D

8. The crushers always used to 'patrol' both the Viccy Lodge and Little Ship for those of us who were partial to an afternoon tipple. I remember them lifting a civvy for drinking in pussers time. That was fun. Didn't they know Wafu's didn't do M&M chits. We just left work when we had finished for the day. (Assuming we had actually started in the first place).

9. Yep and the Joss Man caught me in the betting shop across the road from the Patrol HQ.... But never trooped me!!!! because he had gone in to back the same horse as me???? owned by the local Quarry owner ( Perry??) called Leopardus ridden by Len Lungo and trained at Cullompton.by Gerald Cotterill .. it pi***d up :laughing2: Happy days not forgetting the tips from the local trainer, up on the hill at Weymouth Bert Swaffield

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011