Port for an ex RM officer

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by fca_bagger, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, this is my first post so sorry if it is a stupid one or if it has been covered elsewhere.

I have a relative coming to visit for Christmas who is an ex Royal Marine late entry officer, he enlisted and ended up a Major. I want to get him some port for Christmas, he may be retired but he can still drink properly.

I would be very grate full if any of you kind people could suggest a brand of port that RM officers would usually like.

2. Have noooooooooo idea- but my hubby likes Taylors special reserve.

Bit smoother than Cockburns apparently??!!!!?????

3. I have no idea but I do like port in my guiness

4. Love Pussers Rum my local sells it which is good

5. To be honest he'll drink anything so just go for quantity... :thumright: :thumright:

6. i agree as a soldier port is a nice xmas gift for a serviceman,if you want my address let me know

7. Cheers guy's, all very usefull and kind of you.

8. As it's your first post;, he isn't ex- anything, he is a FORMER Royal Marine. As a rule of thumb, after much scientific testing, I've found the cheaper it is the rougher it is, not neccessarily to drink but certainly the next morning.

IMD

9. I've just this afternoon, bought myself a bottle of Niepoort LBV 2001 which cost about £15. Niepoort are, so I'm told, a small producer but it is supposed to be a pretty good drop of port. I haven't yet tried it but I aim to put a small dent in it later.

Niepoort

10. J-g, no idea what their Port is like but very interesting site ref the descriptions of the various types of Port.

IMD