Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Port for an ex RM officer

Hello, this is my first post so sorry if it is a stupid one or if it has been covered elsewhere.

I have a relative coming to visit for Christmas who is an ex Royal Marine late entry officer, he enlisted and ended up a Major. I want to get him some port for Christmas, he may be retired but he can still drink properly.

I would be very grate full if any of you kind people could suggest a brand of port that RM officers would usually like.

I

In_my_day

fca_bagger said:
...who is an ex Royal Marine late entry officer, he enlisted and ended up a Major...

As it's your first post;, he isn't ex- anything, he is a FORMER Royal Marine. As a rule of thumb, after much scientific testing, I've found the cheaper it is the rougher it is, not neccessarily to drink but certainly the next morning.

IMD

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
I've just this afternoon, bought myself a bottle of Niepoort LBV 2001 which cost about £15. Niepoort are, so I'm told, a small producer but it is supposed to be a pretty good drop of port. I haven't yet tried it but I aim to put a small dent in it later.

Niepoort

I

In_my_day

J-g, no idea what their Port is like but very interesting site ref the descriptions of the various types of Port.

IMD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DemobJob Port Meteorological Officer - Harwich, Essex The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Port Meteorological Officer - Essex/Suffolk Coast The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
J Logistics Officer: Will I be Stuck at Port? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MoD_RSS £200 million Port Infrastructure Fund opens for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary announces investment in strategic Omani port MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon MoD News 0
R A girlfriend in every port??? Submariners 22
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary visits Milford Haven Port as UK Government lays out Freeport plans to boost the economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister hails port’s green credentials MoD News 0
PedlarP HMS Queen Elizabeth - Port Visit to Halifax, NS The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Scottish Secretary visits Loch Ryan port MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns reassures Holyhead Port staff that leaving the EU with a deal remains the UK Government’s top priority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM statement on Saudi-led Coalition decision to extend access to port in Yemen MoD News 0
Darb Port visits HMS Fearless 1984/1985 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Prime Minister David Cameron's speech at Port of Felixstowe MoD News 0
ForcesJobShop Conference and event Co-coordinator (Port Vale) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil VietnamNet: "British Destroyer Docks In Da Nang Port" The Fleet 7
Chaz Indian submarine hit by explosion at Mumbai port Current Affairs 11
Joint_Force_Harrier Port & Stbd Flip Flops The Gash Barge 18
sgtpepperband News Story: "British ship heading to ward off Somali pirates held at port in Spain" The Quarterdeck 9
soleil Dorset Echo: "Royal Naval Commander Sails Into Home Port" SCC and URNU 0
R Port Visit Details from years gone by. The Quarterdeck 11
MoD_RSS HMS Daring makes first port visit to Saudi Arabia Current Affairs 1
M How often do boats come into port? Submariners 29
G GYH(S) and married non preference base port UPO 10
soleil FT.com: "A Vintage Port" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil WSVN-TV: "Royal Navy Ship Docks At Port of Miami" The Fleet 2
soleil Inverness Courier: "Naval Commander Visits Home Port Of Inverness" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS HMS Liverpool drive's Gaddafi's gunboats back to port Current Affairs 0
soleil BBC: "Royal Fleet Auxiliary Ship's Last Portland Port Call" RFA 1
trelawney126 Dutch ANNEX German Port Starting point for WW3 Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Mail: "Busted Flush: Jinxed RN Submarine Returns To Port With Sewage System Failure" Submariners 11
soleil Which Is The Best Port You Have Ever Tasted? The Quarterdeck 19
L FISGARD 02 PORT 2009 Social & Reunions 0
J RNR/WRNR Port Diver Branch Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
P HMS SUPERB Port & Decommissioning Programme Submariners 2
P HMS Superb Port & Decommissioning Programme The Quarterdeck 0
jannerpig88 17 port and the RFA RFA 7
I HMS Lancaster leaving port Nearest & Dearest 9
janner HMS Osprey/Portland Port Bases / Shore Est 27
scouse the mighty lusty returns to port The Fleet Air Arm 30
kingoftwigs Port or Starboard Diamond Lil's 24
A Microsoft's NEW Port'oles for Matelots The Quarterdeck 6
R HMS RESOLUTION PORT 1969 - 72 Submariners 58
LancashireHussar HMS Manchester pays farewell visit to Home Port Current Affairs 8
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2